Dynamic Marketing Model: Optimization of Retailer’s Role
We study a vertical control distribution channel in which a manufacturer sells a single kind of good to a retailer. The state variables are the cumulative sales and the retailer’s motivation. The manufacturer chooses wholesale price discount while retailer chooses pass-through. We assume that the wholesale price discount increases the retailer’s sale motivation thus improving sales. In contrast to previous settings, we focus on the maximization of retailer’s profit with respect to pass-through. The arising problem is linear with respect to both cumulative sales and the retailer’s motivation, while it is quadratic with respect to wholesale price discount and pass-through. We obtain a complete description of optimal strategies and optimal trajectories. In particular, we demonstrate that the number of switches for change in the type of optimal policy is no more than one.
KeywordsRetailer Pricing Pass-through Sale motivation
The work was supported in part by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, projects 16-01-00108, 16-06-00101 and 18-010-00728, by the program of fundamental scientific researches of the SB RAS No I.5.1, project 0314-2016-0018, and by the Russian Ministry of Science and Education under the 5-100 Excellence Programme.
- 3.Bala, P.K.: A data mining model for investigating the impact of promotion in retailing. In: 2009 IEEE International Advance Computing Conference, IACC 2009, pp. 670–674, 4809092 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Ruteri, J.M., Xu, Q.: The new business model for SMEs food processors based on supply chain contracts. In: International Conference on Management and Service Science, MASS 2011, 5999355 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Sang, S.: Bargaining in a two echelon supply chain with price and retail service dependent demand. Eng. Lett. 26(1), 181–186 (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Bykadorov, I., Ellero, A., Funari, S., Kokovin, S., Pudova, M.: Chain store against manufacturers: regulation can mitigate market distortion. In: Kochetov, Y., Khachay, M., Beresnev, V., Nurminski, E., Pardalos, P. (eds.) DOOR 2016. LNCS, vol. 9869, pp. 480–493. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-44914-2_38CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bykadorov, I.: Monopolistic competition model with different technological innovation and consumer utility levels. In: CEUR Workshop Proceeding 1987, pp. 108–114 (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Seierstad, A., Sydsæter, K.: Optimal Control Theory with Economic Applications. North Holland, Amsterdam (1987)Google Scholar