Media Delivery Competition with Edge Cloud, Remote Cloud and Networking
We describe a marketplace for content distribution, specifically stored-video streaming, involving both edge cloud (fog) and remote cloud computing and storage resources. Three different types of participants are considered: providers that are affiliated with the remote cloud, those that are affiliated with the ISP/edge, and those affiliated with neither. For a simple model, we explore the existence of a Nash equilibrium. Furthermore, we formulate a leader-follower game involving a market regulator maximizing a social welfare and study its Stackelberg equilibrium. For a market regulator seeking to limit prices charged by an edge-cloud entrant, we show an interesting trade-off between “moderate” edge-cloud prices and existence of follower (Nash) equilibrium.
- 1.M. Adler, R.K. Sitaraman, and H. Venkataraman. Algorithms for optimizing the bandwidth cost of content delivery. Computer Networks, Dec. 2011.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Agyapong and M. Sirbu. Economic incentives in content-centric networking: Implications for protocol design and public policy. In Proc. 39th Telecommunications Policy Research Conference, Arlington, VA, 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.Amazon CloudFront Pricing. https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/?p=ps.
- 4.AWS Lambda Pricing. https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/pricing.
- 5.T. Basar and G. J. Olsder. Dynamic noncooperative game theory, 2nd Ed. Academic Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Berners-Lee. Net Neutrality: This is serious. TimBL’s blog, http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/144, June 2006.
- 8.L.C. Drazek. Intensity estimation for Poisson processes. MS Thesis, School of Mathematics, University of Leeds, https://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~voss/projects/2012-Poisson/Drazek.pdf, Sept. 2013.
- 9.N. Economides and B. Hermalin. The strategic use of download limits by a monopoly platform. Working Paper 13-26, www.NETinst.org, Dec. 2013.
- 10.R. Fagin. Asymptotic approximation of the move-to-front search cost distribution and least-recently-used caching fault probabilities, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Fudenberg and J. Tirole. Game Theory. MIT Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Hahn and S. Wallsten. The economics of net neutrality. Economists’ Voice, The Berkeley Economic Press, 3(6):1–7, 2006.Google Scholar
- 13.P. Hande, M. Chiang, R. Calderbank, and S. Rangan. Network pricing and rate allocation with content provider participation. In Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009.Google Scholar
- 14.C. Herreria. 22 States Sue FCC For Axing Net Neutrality. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/attorneys-general-sue-fcc-net-neutrality_us_5a5e84c3e4b00a7f171b815a, Jan. 16, 2018.
- 16.D. Kerr. France orders Internet provider to stop blocking Google ads. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57562638-93/france-orders-internet-provider-to-stop-blocking-google-ads, Jan. 7, 2013.
- 17.G. Kesidis. A simple two-sided market model with side-payments and ISP service classes. In Proc. IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Smart Data Pricing, Toronto, May 2014.Google Scholar
- 18.G. Kesidis, N. Nasiriani, B. Urgaonkar, and C. Wang. Neutrality in Future Public Clouds: Implications and Challenges. In Proc. USENIX HotCloud, 2016.Google Scholar
- 20.F. Kocak, G. Kesidis, and S. Fdida. Network neutrality with content caching and its effect on access pricing. In Smart Data Pricing. S. Sen and M. Chiang (Eds.), Wiley, 2013.Google Scholar
- 21.R.T.B. Ma, D.-M. Chiu, J.C.S. Lui, V. Misra, and D. Rubenstein. Interconnecting eyeballs to content: A Shapley value perspective on ISP peering and settlement. In Proc. Int’l Workshop on Economics of Networked Systems, pages 61–66, 2008.Google Scholar
- 22.R.T.B. Ma, D.-M. Chiu, J.C.S. Lui, V. Misra, and D. Rubenstein. On cooperative settlement between content, transit and eyeball Internet service providers. In Proc. ACM CoNEXT, 2008.Google Scholar
- 23.B. Maggs. Presentation on CDNs (Akamai) at RESCOM, Porquerolles, France: http://blog.lrem.net/2013/05/23/rescom-2013-bruce-maggs/, May 2013.
- 24.J. Musacchio, G. Schwartz, and J. Walrand. A two-sided market analysis of provider investment incentives with an application to the net-neutrality issue. Review of Network Economics, 8(1), 2009.Google Scholar
- 26.C.U. Saraydar, N.B. Mandayam, and D.J. Goodman. Efficient power control via pricing in wireless data networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 50(2):291–303, Feb. 2002.Google Scholar
- 27.D. Sohn. Neutrality and Caching. https://cdt.org/blog/neutrality-and-caching/, Dec. 16, 2008.
- 28.G.S. Watson. Estimating the intensity of a Poisson process, May 1976.Google Scholar
- 29.D. Weller and B. Woodcock. Bandwidth bottleneck: The hardware at the heart of the Internet is not fast enough. IEEE Spectrum, Jan. 2013.Google Scholar
- 30.T. Wu. Network neutrality, broadband discrimination. Journal of Telecommunications and High Technology Law, 2:141, 2003.Google Scholar