Distance-Based Community Search (Invited Talk Extended Abstract)
Suppose we have identified a set of subjects in a terrorist network suspected of organizing an attack. Which other subjects, likely to be involved, should we keep under control? Similarly, given a set of patients infected with a viral disease, which other people should we monitor? Given a set of companies trading anomalously on the stock market: is there any connection among them that could explain the anomaly? Given a set of proteins of interest, which other proteins participate in pathways with them? Given a set of users in a social network that clicked an ad, to which other users (by the principle of “homophily”) should the same ad be shown?
I wish to thank all the co-authors of the various papers on which this invited talk is built: Natali Ruchansky, Ioanna Tsalouchidou, David García-Soriano, Francesco Gullo, Nicolas Kourtellis, Ricardo Baeza-Yates.
- 2.Andersen, R., Lang, K.J.: Communities from seed sets. In: WWW (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Burt, R.: Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition. Harvard University Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Cui, W., Xiao, Y., Wang, H., Wang, W.: Local search of communities in large graphs. In: SIGMOD (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Faloutsos, C., McCurley, K.S., Tomkins, A.: Fast discovery of connection subgraphs. In: KDD (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Kempe, D., Kleinberg, J.M., Tardos, É.: Maximizing the spread of influence through a social network. In: KDD (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Kloumann, I.M., Kleinberg, J.M.: Community membership identification from small seed sets. In: KDD (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Ruchansky, N., Bonchi, F., García-Soriano, D., Gullo, F., Kourtellis, N.: The minimum wiener connector problem. In: SIGMOD (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Ruchansky, N., Bonchi, F., García-Soriano, D., Gullo, F., Kourtellis, N.: To be connected, or not to be connected: that is the minimum inefficiency subgraph problem. In: CIKM (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Sozio, M., Gionis, A.: The community-search problem and how to plan a successful cocktail party. In: KDD (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Tong, H., Faloutsos, C.: Center-piece subgraphs: problem definition and fast solutions. In: KDD, pp. 404–413 (2006)Google Scholar