Alcohol and Substance Use Disorders in the Geriatric Psychiatry Inpatient: Acute Treatment, Detoxification, and Withdrawal
Alcohol, benzodiazepines, and opioids are the most common substances responsible for intoxication, withdrawal, and dependence issues in geriatric psychiatry inpatients. Problems with other substances may also present, depending upon the setting, the cultural/demographic environment, and local patterns of substance use (Can Geriatr J 17:5, 2014). Guidelines for acute treatment, detoxification, and withdrawal of these substances in the aging adult are presented, but there is a paucity of research-based evidence and recommendations for this population. Tables summarize the signs of intoxication and its management in the aging adult, as well as signs of withdrawal and associated management considerations.
KeywordsAlcohol Benzodiazepines Opioids Intoxication Withdrawal Detoxification Substance use disorder
- 1.Demographics, health-care utilization, and substance use profiles of older adults in Canada’s lowest income neighbourhood. Can Geriatr J [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2018 Feb 15];17(1):5. Available from: https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/pmc/articles/PMC3940477/pdf/cgj-17-5.pdf.
- 2.Wu L-T, Blazer DG. Substance use disorders and psychiatric comorbidity in mid and later life: a review. Int J Epidemiol [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2017 Nov 30];43:304–17. Available from: https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/pmc/articles/PMC3997371/pdf/dyt173.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Le Roux C, Tang Y, Drexler K. Alcohol andopioid use disorder in older adults: neglected and treatable illnesses. Curr Psychiatry Rep [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://link-springer-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11920-016-0718-x.pdf.
- 4.Blazer DG, Wu L-T. The epidemiology of at-risk and binge drinking among middle- aged and elderly community adults national survey on drug use and health. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/pmc/articles/PMC3074476/pdf/nihms-282197.pdf.
- 5.Caputo F, Vignoli T, Leggio L, Addolorato G, Zoli G, Bernardi M. Alcohol use disorders in the elderly: a brief overview from epidemiology to treatment options. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4999313/pdf/nihms810936.pdf.
- 6.Maree RD, Marcum ZA, Saghafi E, Weiner DK, Karp JF. A systematic review of opioid and benzodiazepine misuse in older adults. 2016 [cited 2017 Nov 22]; Available from: https://ac-els-cdn-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/S1064748116301439/1-s2.0-S1064748116301439-main.pdf?_tid=d63217fa-cff9-11e7-a47b-00000aab0f01&acdnat=1511405940_6376a59f2714e67f68cb7310b105f24d.
- 7.Airagnes G, Pelissolo A, Lavallée M, Flament M, Limosin F. Benzodiazepine misuse in the elderly: risk factors, consequences, and management. 1920 [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://link-springer-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11920-016-0727-9.pdf.
- 9.Préville M, Boyer R, Vasiliadis H-M, Grenier S, Voyer P, Hudon C, et al. One-year incidence of psychiatric disorders in Quebec’s older adult population. Can J Psychiatry [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2017 Nov 22];55(7). Available from: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/070674371005500708.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Simoni-Wastila L,KeriYang H. Psychoactive drug abuse in older adults. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother L Simoni-Waa~tila HIC Yang Am J Geriatr Pharmacother [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2017 Nov 22];4:380–94. Available from: https://ac-els-cdn-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/S1543594606000663/1-s2.0-S1543594606000663-main.pdf?_tid=97e69828-cff8-11e7-8cc6-00000aab0f6b&acdnat=1511405406_3c5fbcdfca04b0f3378f9aa25bf79c16.
- 11.Gerlach LB, Olfson M, Kales HC, Maust DT. Opioids and other central nervous system–active polypharmacy in older adults in the United States. [cited 2017 Dec 29]; Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/store/10.1111/jgs.14930/asset/jgs14930.pdf?v=1&t=jbs28utm&s=682aa00aaaf67ae743ba3265e6ee3ac0f44b3784.
- 12.Scholz J, Caleb Junior Lima Santos P, Giusti Buzo C, Helena Moreira Lopes N, Marie Ogawa Abe T, Viviane Gaya P, et al. Effects of aging on the effectiveness of smoking cessation medication. Oncotarget [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2017 Dec 29];7(21). Available from: www.impactjournals.com/oncotarget.
- 13.Catic AG. Identification and management of in-hospital drug-induced delirium in older patients. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://link-springer-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/content/pdf/10.2165%2F11592240-000000000-00000.pdf.
- 14.Barry KL, Blow FC. Alcohol research: current reviews Volume 37 number 2 Drinking Over the Lifespan: Focus on Older Adults. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4872606/pdf/arcr-38-1-115.pdf.
- 15.Sullivan JT, Sykora K, Schneiderman J, Naranjo CA,Sellers EM. Assessment of alcohol withdrawal: the revised clinical institute withdrawal assessment for alcohol scale (CIWA-Ar). Br J Addict [Internet]. 1989 Nov [cited 2017 Dec 19];84(11):1353–7. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2597811.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Association AP. DSM 5 [Internet]. Am J Psychiatr. 2013. 991 p. Available from: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=158714%5Cn; http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&btnG=Search&q=intitle:DSM-5#0.
- 19.Substance abuse and mental health services administration. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64419/pdf/Bookshelf_NBK64419.pdf.
- 20.Forman RF. Substance abuse: clinical issues in intensive outpatient treatment A treatment improvement protocol TIP 47 acknowledgments. [cited 2017 Nov 30]; Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64093/pdf/Bookshelf_NBK64093.pdf.
- 21.Gould RL, Coulson MC, Patel N, Highton-Williamson E, Howard RJ. Interventions for reducing benzodiazepine use in older people: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br J Psychiatry [Internet]. 2014 Feb 1 [cited 2017 Nov 30];204(2):98–107. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24493654.
- 22.Hinrichsen GA, Leipzig RM. Review: supervised withdrawal plus other interventions reduces benzodiazepine use in older persons. Ann Intern Med [Internet]. 2014 Sep 16 [cited 2017 Nov 30];161(6):JC2. Available from: http://annals.org/article.aspx?doi=10.7326/0003-4819-161-6-201409160-02002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Kraemer KL, Conigliaro J, Saitz R. Managing alcohol withdrawal in the elderly. [cited 2018 Jan 15]; Available from: https://link-springer-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/content/pdf/10.2165%2F00002512-199914060-00002.pdf.
- 24.Identifying and Managing Acute Alcohol Withdrawal in the Elderly. Geriatr Nurs (Minneap) [Internet]. [cited 2017 Dec 19];26(3). Available from: https://ac-els-cdn-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/S0197457205000911/1-s2.0-S0197457205000911-main.pdf?_tid=eed7e7e0-e4fc-11e7-89e4-00000aab0f01&acdnat=1513716245_3253d57ea13b0dc6c6284da255c51f89.
- 25.Tannenbaum C. Inappropriate benzodiazepine use in elderly patients and its reduction. J Psychiatry Neurosci [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2018 Jan 16];40(3). Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4409441/pdf/jpn-40-e27.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Opioids, benzodiazepines and the elderly: a pocket guide [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jan 15]. Available from: http://www.nicenet.ca/de.aspx?id=499
- 27.Wesson DR, Ling W. The Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS). [cited 2018 Jan 15]; Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Donald_Wesson2/publication/10608525_The_clinical_opiate_withdrawal_scale_COWS/links/571957a408ae30c3f9f2c232.pdf.
- 28.Oslin D, Liberto JG, Krois Jennifer Norbeck S. Naltrexone as an adjunctive treatment for older patients with alcohol dependence. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry [Internet]. 1997 [cited 2017 Dec 29];5:324–32. Available from: https://ac-els-cdn-com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/S1064748112615061/1-s2.0-S1064748112615061-main.pdf?_tid=171e86a0-ecaf-11e7-8d27-00000aab0f02&acdnat=1514562421_eec635c99d7c0418dfa9e139bc308d47.
- 29.Satre DD, Mertens JR, Areán PA, Weisner C. Five-year alcohol and drug treatment outcomes of older adults versus middle-aged and younger adults in a managed care program. Addict Addict Addict [Internet]. [cited 2017 Dec 29];99(99):1286–97. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/store/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00831.x/asset/j.1360-0443.2004.00831.x.pdf?v=1&t=jbs4b8u9&s=846b7dca6a3a0c731d77a4faa1ce9d85ef2bcd48.
- 30.Satre DD, Blow FC, Chi FW, Weisner C. Gender differences in seven-year alcohol and drug treatment outcomes among older adults. [cited 2017 Dec 29]; Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/store/10.1080/10550490701375673/asset/10550490701375673.pdf?v=1&t=jbs485dq&s=9776131b4edb5cb9ecc862abcd180a328f65f57f.
- 31.Dombrowski D, Norrell N, Holroyd S. Substance use disorders in elderly admissions to an academic psychiatric inpatient aervice over a 10-Year period. [cited 2018 Feb 15]; Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5090103/pdf/JAD2016-4973018.pdf.