Social Media Technologies and Export Marketing
Firms are internationalising, leveraging on social media marketing, but scholars posit that technology solely cannot lead to export performance unless it is integrated with other strategic resources. Using the resource-advantage theory, this chapter seeks to address the question on the appropriate resource combinations enabling firms to achieve export performance. It further introduces export relationship performance as a dimension for evaluating the performance of exporting small- and medium-scale enterprises on social media. Additionally, the chapter presents a framework on social media export marketing performance capabilities.
KeywordsSocial media marketing Resources Capabilities Performance
- Barua, M. E., & Michie, D. A. (2014, November 4–8). The role of opportunism within the context of resource advantage theory: A conceptual framework. In Meter, R. V., & Weiser, J. (Eds.), Advances in marketing transformational marketing: Proceedings of 2014 Society for Marketing Advances, New Orleans. Houston: Society for Marketing Advances. Retrieved from https://www.societyformarketingadvances.org/resources/Documents/Resources/Conference%20Proceedings/2014_SMA_Proceedings.pdf#page=412.
- Beleska-Spasova, E. (2014). Determinants and measures of export performance—Comprehensive literature review. JCEBI, 1(1), 63–74.Google Scholar
- Chang, Y. T., Yu, H., & Lu, H. P. (2015). Persuasive messages, popularity cohesion, and message diffusion in social media marketing. Journal of Business Research, 68(4), 777–782.Google Scholar
- Compass-UPS. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://compass.ups.com/how-social-media-can-boost-exports/
- Klein, C. C. (2007). The Economics of Time as a resource. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.329.7498&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- O’Reilly, T. (2007). What is Web 2.0: Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. Retrieved from http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html.
- Packer, R. (2011). Social media marketing: The art of conversational sales. Retrieved from https://wsimarketbuilders.com/socialmediamarketingwhitepaper.pdf.
- Schlegelmilch, B. B. (2011). Commentary on developing successful theories in marketing: Insights from resource-advantage theory. Academy of Marketing Science Review, 1, 85–89.Google Scholar
- Socialpilot.co. (n.d.). Retrieved May 3, 2017, from https://socialpilot.co/blog/125-amazing-social-media-statistics-know-2016/.
- Tuten, T. L., & Solomon, M. R. (2015). Social media marketing (2nd ed.). Sage.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Y-Q., & Chen, H-G. (2015). Social media and human need satisfaction: Implications for social media marketing. Business Horizons, 58, 335–345.Google Scholar