New Ideas in Ranking for Personalized Fashion Recommender Systems
Fashion is an area that is in constant growth. The proliferation of social media and the Web, in general, has made e-shopping, thus corresponding recommender systems, increasingly important. Fashion recommender systems is a related area that we focus on in this chapter. More specifically, we present how recommender systems are used in online fashion stores to enhance the user experience and increase sales. In addition, we look at challenges the fashion domain specifically faces. We exemplify solution strategies by considering the SoBazaar system, including showing how we built a recommendation approach for the system and discussing results from our experiments. The results from these experiments demonstrate the effectiveness and viability of our method.
KeywordsDeterministic fashion recommender Goal-oriented recommendation Recommendation system Stochastic fashion recommender
We would like to thank the SoBazaar team at Telenor Digital for providing the SoBazaar dataset and thus making our experiments possible. The dataset is available at https://github.com/hainguyen-telenor/Learning-to-rank-from-implicit-feedback under the Open Database (ODbL) v1.0 Licence.10
- 2.Xavier Amatriain, Josep M. Pujol, and Nuria Oliver. I like it… I like it not: Evaluating user ratings noise in recommender systems. In User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization, 17th International Conference, UMAP 2009, formerly UM and AH, Trento, Italy, June 22–26, 2009. Proceedings, pages 247–258, 2009. URL https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-02247-0_24.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Josef Bauer and Alexandros Nanopoulos. A framework for matrix factorization based on general distributions. In Eighth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys ’14, Foster City, Silicon Valley, CA, USA - October 06 – 10, 2014, pages 249–256, 2014. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2645710.2645735.
- 4.Robert M. Bell and Yehuda Koren. Scalable collaborative filtering with jointly derived neighborhood interpolation weights. In Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2007), October 28–31, 2007, Omaha, Nebraska, USA, pages 43–52, 2007. URL https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2007.90.
- 5.James Bennett and Stan Lanning. The Netflix prize. In KDD Cup and Workshop in conjunction with KDD, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Xiongcai Cai, Michael Bain, Alfred Krzywicki, Wayne Wobcke, Yang Sok Kim, Paul Compton, and Ashesh Mahidadia. Learning collaborative filtering and its application to people to people recommendation in social networks. In ICDM 2010, The 10th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Sydney, Australia, 14–17 December 2010, pages 743–748, 2010. URL https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2010.159.
- 8.Allison June-Barlow Chaney, David M. Blei, and Tina Eliassi-Rad. A probabilistic model for using social networks in personalized item recommendation. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys 2015, Vienna, Austria, September 16–20, 2015, pages 43–50, 2015. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2792838.2800193.
- 9.Paolo Cremonesi, Yehuda Koren, and Roberto Turrin. Performance of recommender algorithms on top-n recommendation tasks. In Proceedings of the 2010 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys 2010, Barcelona, Spain, September 26–30, 2010, pages 39–46, 2010. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1864708.1864721.
- 10.Wei Di, Neel Sundaresan, Robinson Piramuthu, and Anurag Bhardwaj. Is a picture really worth a thousand words?: - on the role of images in e-commerce. In Seventh ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, WSDM 2014, New York, NY, USA, February 24–28, 2014, pages 633–642, 2014. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2556195.2556226.
- 11.Zeno Gantner, Steffen Rendle, Christoph Freudenthaler, and Lars Schmidt-Thieme. Mymedialite: a free recommender system library. In Proceedings of the 2011 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys 2011, Chicago, IL, USA, October 23–27, 2011, pages 305–308, 2011. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2043932.2043989.
- 12.Rayid Ghani and Andrew Fano. Building recommender systems using a knowledge base of product semantics. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Recommendation and Personalization in ECommerce at the 2nd International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web based Systems, pages 27–29, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Pranab Ghosh. From explicit user engagement to implicit product rating. URL http://bit.ly/1lidNQn, 2014. [Last accessed 2014-08-11].
- 15.Quanquan Gu, Jie Zhou, and Chris H. Q. Ding. Collaborative filtering: Weighted nonnegative matrix factorization incorporating user and item graphs. In Proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, SDM 2010, April 29 - May 1, 2010, Columbus, Ohio, USA, pages 199–210, 2010. URL https://doi.org/10.1137/1.9781611972801.18.
- 17.Yifan Hu, Yehuda Koren, and Chris Volinsky. Collaborative filtering for implicit feedback datasets. In Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2008), December 15–19, 2008, Pisa, Italy, pages 263–272, 2008. URL https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2008.22.
- 18.Tomoharu Iwata, Shinji Wanatabe, and Hiroshi Sawada. Fashion coordinates recommender system using photographs from fashion magazines. In IJCAI 2011, Proceedings of the 22nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, July 16–22, 2011, pages 2262–2267, 2011. URL http://ijcai.org/papers11/Papers/IJCAI11-377.pdf.
- 19.Vignesh Jagadeesh, Robinson Piramuthu, Anurag Bhardwaj, Wei Di, and Neel Sundaresan. Large scale visual recommendations from street fashion images. In The 20th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD ’14, New York, NY, USA - August 24 – 27, 2014, pages 1925–1934, 2014. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2623330.2623332.
- 20.Michael Jahrer, Andreas Töscher, and Robert A. Legenstein. Combining predictions for accurate recommender systems. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Washington, DC, USA, July 25–28, 2010, pages 693–702, 2010. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1835804.1835893.
- 21.Gawesh Jawaheer, Martin Szomszor, and Patty Kostkova. Characterisation of explicit feedback in an online music recommendation service. In Proceedings of the 2010 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys 2010, Barcelona, Spain, September 26–30, 2010, pages 317–320, 2010. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1864708.1864776.
- 22.Mikito Kobayashi, Fumiaki Minami, Takayuki Ito, and Satoshi Tojo. An implementation of goal-oriented fashion recommendation system. In NgocThanh Nguyen and Radoslaw Katarzyniak, editors, New Challenges in Applied Intelligence Technologies, volume 134 of Studies in Computational Intelligence, pages 77–86. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008.Google Scholar
- 23.Matt J. Kusner, Yu Sun, Nicholas I. Kolkin, and Kilian Q. Weinberger. From word embeddings to document distances. In Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Machine Learning, ICML 2015, Lille, France, 6–11 July 2015, pages 957–966, 2015. URL http://jmlr.org/proceedings/papers/v37/kusnerb15.html.
- 24.Yanen Li, Jia Hu, ChengXiang Zhai, and Ye Chen. Improving one-class collaborative filtering by incorporating rich user information. In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, CIKM 2010, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, October 26–30, 2010, pages 959–968, 2010. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1871437.1871559.
- 26.Yu-Chu Lin, Yuusuke Kawakita, Etsuko Suzuki, and Haruhisa Ichikawa. Personalized clothing-recommendation system based on a modified bayesian network. In 12th IEEE/IPSJ International Symposium on Applications and the Internet, SAINT 2012, Izmir, Turkey, July 16–20, 2012, pages 414–417, 2012. URL https://doi.org/10.1109/SAINT.2012.75.
- 27.Jiahui Liu, Peter Dolan, and Elin Rønby Pedersen. Personalized news recommendation based on click behavior. In Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, February 7–10, 2010, Hong Kong, China, pages 31–40, 2010. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1719970.1719976.
- 28.Si Liu, Jiashi Feng, Zheng Song, Tianzhu Zhang, Hanqing Lu, Changsheng Xu, and Shuicheng Yan. Hi, magic closet, tell me what to wear! In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Multimedia Conference, MM ’12, Nara, Japan, October 29 - November 02, 2012, pages 619–628, 2012. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2393347.2393433.
- 29.Shinya Miura, Toshihiko Yamasaki, and Kiyoharu Aizawa. SNAPPER: fashion coordinate image retrieval system. In Ninth International Conference on Signal-Image Technology & Internet-Based Systems, SITIS 2013, Kyoto, Japan, December 2–5, 2013, pages 784–789, 2013. URL https://doi.org/10.1109/SITIS.2013.127.
- 30.Hai Thanh Nguyen, Thomas Almenningen, Martin Havig, Herman Schistad, Anders Kofod-Petersen, Helge Langseth, and Heri Ramampiaro. Learning to rank for personalised fashion recommender systems via implicit feedback. In Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration - Second International Conference, MIKE 2014, Cork, Ireland, December 10–12, 2014. Proceedings, pages 51–61, 2014. URL https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13817-6_6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.David M. Nichols. Implicit rating and filtering. In The DELOS Workshop on Filtering and Collaborative Filtering, pages 31–36, 1997.Google Scholar
- 32.Douglas Oard and Jinmook Kim. Implicit feedback for recommender systems. In Proc. of the AAAI Workshop on Recommender Systems, pages 81–83, 1998.Google Scholar
- 33.David M. Pennock, Eric Horvitz, Steve Lawrence, and C. Lee Giles. Collaborative filtering by personality diagnosis: A hybrid memory- and model-based approach. In Proceedings of the UAI, pages 473–480. Morgan Kaufman, 2000.Google Scholar
- 35.Steffen Rendle, Christoph Freudenthaler, Zeno Gantner, and Lars Schmidt-Thieme. BPR: bayesian personalized ranking from implicit feedback. In UAI 2009, Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, Montreal, QC, Canada, June 18–21, 2009, pages 452–461, 2009. URL https://dslpitt.org/uai/displayArticleDetails.jsp?mmnu=1&smnu=2&article_id=1630&proceeding_id=25.Google Scholar
- 36.Andrew I. Schein, Alexandrin Popescul, Lyle H. Ungar, and David M. Pennock. Methods and metrics for cold-start recommendations. In SIGIR 2002: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, August 11–15, 2002, Tampere, Finland, pages 253–260, 2002. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/564376.564421.
- 37.Edward Yu-Te Shen, Henry Lieberman, and Francis Lam. What am I gonna wear?: scenario-oriented recommendation. In Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, January 28–31, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pages 365–368, 2007. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1216295.1216368.
- 38.Push Singh, Thomas Lin, Erik T. Mueller, Grace Lim, Travell Perkins, and Wan Li Zhu. Open mind common sense: Knowledge acquisition from the general public. In On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems, 2002 - DOA/CoopIS/ODBASE 2002 Confederated International Conferences DOA, CoopIS and ODBASE 2002 Irvine, California, USA, October 30 - November 1, 2002, Proceedings, pages 1223–1237, 2002. URL https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-36124-3_77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Nathan Srebro and Tommi S. Jaakkola. Weighted low-rank approximations. In Machine Learning, Proceedings of the Twentieth International Conference (ICML 2003), August 21–24, 2003, Washington, DC, USA, pages 720–727, 2003. URL http://www.aaai.org/Library/ICML/2003/icml03-094.php.
- 40.Gábor Takács, István Pilászy, Bottyán Németh, and Domonkos Tikk. Scalable collaborative filtering approaches for large recommender systems. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 10: 623–656, 2009. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1577069.1577091.
- 41.Tran The Truyen, Dinh Q. Phung, and Svetha Venkatesh. Preference networks: Probabilistic models for recommendation systems. In Data Mining and Analytics 2007, Proceedings of the Sixth Australasian Data Mining Conference (AusDM 2007), Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, December 3–4, 2007, Proceedings, pages 195–202, 2007. URL http://crpit.com/abstracts/CRPITV70Truyen.html.
- 42.G. Vignali and C. Vignali. Fashion marketing & theory. Access Press, 2009.Google Scholar
- 43.Jun Wang, Arjen P. de Vries, and Marcel J. T. Reinders. Unifying user-based and item-based collaborative filtering approaches by similarity fusion. In SIGIR 2006: Proceedings of the 29th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Seattle, Washington, USA, August 6–11, 2006, pages 501–508, 2006. URL https://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1148170.1148257.
- 44.Elizabeth Wilson. Adorned in dreams: Fashion and modernity. IB Tauris, 2003.Google Scholar
- 45.Kenji Araki Ying Zhao. What to wear in different situations? A content-based recommendation system for fashion coordination. In Proc. of the Japanese Forum on Information Technology (FIT2011), 2011.Google Scholar