Reporting Mechanisms for Internet of Things
Energy saving is one of the most important issues for Internet of Things (IoT). An intuitive way to save energy of IoT devices is to reduce the reporting frequency to the IoT server. However, to do so, the time-variant values are distorted, which may be influential to the measured results. In this letter, we take PM2.5 application as an example to discuss the relation between energy efficiency and data accuracy. Through analyzing PM2.5 concentration collected via LoRa at National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) from 2016 to present, two reporting mechanisms based on timer and threshold, respectively, are proposed. The experimental results demonstrate that the threshold-based reporting outperforms the timer-based reporting by more than \(37\%\) in energy saving when the accuracies of these two reporting mechanisms are the same.
KeywordsInternet of things LoRa Reporting frequency Data accuracy Packet loss PM2.5
This work was supported in part by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) under Grant 106-2221-E-009-006, Grant 106-2221-E-009-049-MY2 and Grant 107-2218-E-009-049, in part by Academia Sinica AS-105-TP-A07, Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) 106-EC-17-A-24-0619 and the Ministry of Education through the SPROUT Project Center for Open Intelligent Connectivity of National Chiao Tung University and Ministry of Education, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 1.3GPP, Introduction of NB-IoT, TS 36.201 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.LoRa Alliance. https://www.lora-alliance.org/lorawan-white-papers
- 3.Sigfox website. http://www.sigfox.com
- 6.Liu, B., Yan, S., Li, J., Li, Y.: Forecasting PM2.5 concentration using spatio-temporal extreme learning machine. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICMLA, pp. 950–953 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Chang,J.-H., Tseng, C.-Y.: Analysis of correlation between secondary PM2.5 and factory pollution sources by using ANN and the correlation coefficient. IEEE Access 5, 22812–22822 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, A., Kumar, A., Singh, A.: Energy efficient and low cost air quality sensor for smart buildings. In: Proceedings of IEEE CICT, pp. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Reference withheld for double-blind review.Google Scholar
- 11.Gemtek IoT products web site. http://www.giotnetwork.com
- 12.Higgins, J.R.: Sampling theory in Fourier and signal analysis: foundations. Oxford Clarendon Press (1996)Google Scholar