Comparative Study of Two Signal-to-Noise Ratio Calculation Methods in LTE Downlink Simulations
It is well-known that the bit error rate (BER) of a mobile communication system is strongly affected by the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Because the term SNR is so fundamental that most papers did not explain how SNR is calculatd in simulations. In this paper, we report the BER perfomrance for Long Term Evolution (LTE) downlink simulations with two different SNR calculation methods. It is found that using short-term SNR not only yields much smaller BER than using ensemble-average SNR, but also reverses the ordering of BER performance among the channel models. We thus suggest that in order to fully disclose their implications on performance, the BERs measured against the two SNRs should be presented side by side in LTE downlink simulation studies.
KeywordsLong term evolution Signal-to-noise ratio Simulated channel
This work was supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, under Project 104-2221-E-027-034.
- 1.Adegbite, S., Stewart, B.G., McMeekin, S.G.: Least squares interpolation methods for LTE system channel estimation over extended ITU channels. Int. J. Inf. Electron. Eng. 3, 414–418 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Weng, F., Yin, C., Luo, T.: Channel estimation for the downlink of 3GPP-LTE systems. In: Proceedings of 2010 2nd IEEE International Conference Network Infrastructure and Digital Content, pp. 1042–1046 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.You, S.D., Liu, Y.-S.: Comparative study of channel estimation methods for LTE downlink transmission. In: Proceedings of 2015 IEEE 4th Global Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp. 642–643 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP: LTE; Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); User Equipment (UE) Radio Transmission and Reception, 3GPP TS 36.101. (2014). 3GPPGoogle Scholar
- 8.You, S.D., Chen, K.-Y., Liu, Y.-S.: Cubic convolution interpolation function with variable coefficients and its application to channel estimation for IEEE 802.16 initial downlink. IET Commun. 6, 1979–1987 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, Y.-S., You, S.D., Wu, R.-K.: Burst allocation method to enable decision-directed channel estimation for mobile WiMAX downlink transmission. EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. Netw. 153 (2013) https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-1499-2013
- 10.Prasad, R.: OFDM for Wireless Communications Systems. Artec House, Washington, DC (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.3GPP: System-level Evaluation of OFDM - Further Considerations, 3GPP TSG-RAN WG1 35, R1–031303. (2003). 3GPPGoogle Scholar