Art-Based User Research: Combining Art-Based Research and User Research to Inform the Design of a Technology to Improve Emotional Wellbeing
This paper presents research output from an experiment that combines ideas from User Research and Art-based Research. Artistic processes inspired the study, in which we asked participants to assess and then “paint” their emotions over emotion-eliciting images using an array of materials, such as watercolors and colored pencils. We used a mixed methods approach that included questionnaires, psychometric data from validated scales and informal conversations. Our primary goals were to inform the design of a mobile application meant to improve emotional wellbeing and assess whether creative self-expression can help to engage users when evaluating and exploring their affective states. We conclude by summarizing the results, which we believe to be positive.
KeywordsArt-based research Design Emotions Human-Computer Interaction Technology User research Wellbeing
This work is funded by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia - grant PD/BD/114141/2015 and FCT/MEC NOVA LINCS PEst UID/CEC/04516/2013.
- 1.Attfield, S., Kazai, G., Lalmas, M.: Towards a science of user engagement (position paper). In: WSDM Workshop on User Modelling for Web Applications (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Csikszentmihalyi, M.: Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Harper, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Csikszentmihalyi, M.: The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium. Harper, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Gute, D., Gute, G.: How creativity works in the brain. National Endowment for the Arts (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Edwards, D.: Art therapy (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Guo, Y.M., Poole, M.S.: Antecedents of flow in online environments: the role of website complexity. In: AMCIS 2006 Proceedings, pp. 2933–2941 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Knowles, J., Cole, A.: Handbook of the Arts in Qualitative Research: Perspectives. Examples, and Issues, Methodologies (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Lang, P.J.: Behavioral treatment and bio-behavioral assessment: computer applications, in technology in mental health care delivery systems (1980)Google Scholar
- 19.McNiff, S.: Art-based research. In: Handbook of the Arts in Qualitative Research: Perspectives, Methodologies, Examples, and Issues (1998)Google Scholar