The Polish Parliament and the Scrutiny of Brexit in Poland
Poland faces with Brexit the loss of one of its most important political and economic partners in the European Union (EU). Poland has had a trade surplus in goods and services with the United Kingdom (UK), with the latter also being the top destination of Polish emigration and constituting one of the biggest net contributors to the EU budget of which Poland is so far the largest recipient. Moreover, both countries have usually shared similar visions of the Single Market and the future direction of European integration. For this reason, the Polish government considers the negotiation of the UK withdrawal from the EU as well as forging the new UK-EU relationship as crucial processes for its national interests. The aim of this chapter is to account for the role of the Polish parliament in these procedures. The analysis of actual parliamentary engagement in the oversight of Brexit negotiations reveals that its role in the process is limited to mere monitoring and receipt of governmental information, despite the parliament’s fairly strong scrutiny powers in EU affairs. While the members of parliament are not able to influence the process by mandating the executive, the level of politicization of Brexit in the parliamentary arena is quite high, with the governing and opposition parties exploiting the topic for their own political gains.
KeywordsPolish Sejm Polish Senate European Union Parliamentary scrutiny Brexit
- 8th Bi-annual Report of COSAC and Annex. http://www.cosac.eu/documents/bi-annual-reports-of-cosac/. Last Modified 28 June 2018.
- 27th Bi-annual Report of COSAC and Annex. http://www.cosac.eu/documents/bi-annual-reports-of-cosac/. Last Modified 28 June 2018.
- Auel, K., Oliver, R., & Tacea, A. (2015). Fighting Back? And, If So, How? Measuring Parliamentary Strength and Activity in EU Affairs. In C. Hefftler, C. Neuhold, O. Rozenberg, & J. Smith (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of National Parliaments and the European Union (pp. 60–93). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Barcz, J., & Pudło, A. (2015). The Polish Parliament in EU Affairs. In C. Hefftler, C. Neuhold, O. Rozenberg, & J. Smith (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of National Parliaments and the European Union (pp. 594–612). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Barrett, G. (2019). The Irish Parliament and Brexit. In T. Christiansen & D. Fromage (Eds.), Brexit and Democracy: The Role of Parliaments in the UK and the European Union. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Borońska-Hryniewiecka, K. (2017). From the EWS to the Green Card for National Parliaments: Hindering or Accelerating the EU Lawmaking? In D. Jancic (Ed.), National Parliaments after the Lisbon Treaty and the Euro Crisis: Resilience or Resignation? (pp. 247–261). Oxford: Oxford University Press.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Borońska-Hryniewiecka, K., Kaca, E., Płóciennik, S., & Toporowski, P. (2016). Probable EU-UK Relationship After Brexit. Perspective of Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Poland (PISM Report). Warsaw: Polish Institute of International Affairs.Google Scholar
- British Office for National Statistics. (2016). Labour Force Survey Q1 2016.Google Scholar
- Buth, V., Högenauer, A.-L., & Kaniok, P. (2019). The Scrutiny of Brexit in National Parliaments: Germany, Luxembourg and the Czech Republic Compared. In T. Christiansen & D. Fromage (Eds.), Brexit and Democracy: The Role of Parliaments in the UK and the European Union. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- CBOS. (2018). Komunikat No. 56, 30 April 2018. https://www.cbos.pl/PL/publikacje/raporty.php
- Dziennik Ustaw. (2010). No. 213/2010, Item 1395.Google Scholar
- EU Council. (2017). Guiding Principles for Transparency in the Negotiations, 22 May 2017. http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/gac-art50/2017/05/22/
- Fromage, D., & Kreilinger, V. (2017). National Parliaments’ Third Yellow Card and the Struggle Over the Revision of the Posted Workers Directive. European Journal of Legal Studies, 10(1), 125–160.Google Scholar
- Fuksiewicz, A. (2011). In M. Grabski (Ed.), Sejm i Senat rok po wejściu w życie traktatu lizbońskiego – dostosowanie do reformy instytucjonalnej. Warszawa: Instytut Spraw Publicznych.Google Scholar
- EAC Minutes, 20/04/2017 (No. 124, 125). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/biuletyn.xsp?skrnr=SUE-124
- EAC Minutes, 6/06/2018 (No. 209). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/biuletyn.xsp?skrnr=SUE-209
- EAC Minutes, 05/04/2017 (No. 121). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=SUE#121
- EAC Minutes, 7/06/2017 (No.135). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=SUE#135
- EAC Minutes, 6/12/2017 (No. 170). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=SUE#170
- EAC Minutes, 7/12/2017 (No. 172). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=SUE#172
- EAC Minutes, 12/04/2018 (No. 198). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=SUE#198
- Interview at Sejm. (2018). EU Division of the Chancellery of the Sejm, 09 April 2018.Google Scholar
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs. (2018). Expose of the Minister for Foreign Affairs. https://mfa.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci/wiadomosci/minister_witold_waszczykowski_o_priorytetach_polskiej_dyplomacji. Accessed on 14 June 2018.
- Petitions Committee minutes, (No. 64) of 8/03/2017, pp. 6–8. http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PosKomZrealizowane.xsp?komisja=PET#64
- Prime Minister Decree Nr 99. (2016, July 20).Google Scholar
- Sejm Plenary Minutes, 19–22/07/2016 (No. 23). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PorzadekObrad.xsp?documentId=4B32A8E27C3CC0C3C1257F1500567922
- Sejm Plenary Minutes, 12/10/2017 (No. 49). http://www.sejm.gov.pl/sejm8.nsf/PorzadekObrad.xsp?documentId=4F5307B0C2CB55FFC12580EB0042437E
- Standard Eurobarometer 89. (2018, March). http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/index.cfm/Survey/getSurveyDetail/instruments/STANDARD/surveyKy/2180
- Szymanek, J. (2004). Rola Senatu RP w wykonywaniu kontroli parlamentarnej. Ruch prawniczy, ekonomiczny i socjologiczny, 1, 15–33.Google Scholar
- Szymański, K. (2016). What Kind of Union Does Poland Need? Polish Diplomatic Review, 1(67). http://www.ppd.pism.pl/Numery/1-67-2016/What-Kind-of-Union-Does-Poland-Need-Minister-Konrad-Szymanski.