Effect of Copper and Nickel Addition on Mechanical Properties of A356 Alloy and Assessment of Mechanism of Pore Formation
In this study, changes in mechanical properties and hot tearing properties were investigated by adding 0.2 wt% Ni and 2 wt% Cu to Al–Si–Mg alloy. In addition, the porosity formation with regard to liquid metal cleanliness was investigated. Casting experiments have been carried out in certain compositions. The melt was degassed and up-gassed slowly. Micro100 alloy was added to the melt to investigate the effect of the distribution of porosity on the mechanical properties. A ring permanent mould was used to test the hot tearing characteristic and a tensile test bars were poured into permanent mould to test the mechanical properties.
KeywordsHot tearing Tensile properties Degassing Porosity Hydrogen
I am very grateful to Dr.-Ing. Uwe Vroomen for giving me the opportunity and great support to this study.
I would like to thank Johannes Brachmann for guidance and support through the course of my thesis, and for his excellent supervision during the entirety of this study.
I would like to express my gratitude to Associate Professor Dr. Derya Dispinar for his scientific opportunities, and for his enthusiastic support and advice.
- 1.Di Giovanni MT (2014)The Influence of Nİ and V trace elements on the high temperature tensile properties of A356 aluminum foundry. Norwegian University of Science and TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 3.Campbell J, Harding RA (1994) Solidification defects in casting. TALAT, European Aluminum AssociationGoogle Scholar
- 4.Dispinar D, Campbell J (2004) Critical assessment of reduced pressure test. Part 1: porosity phenomena. The University of BirminghamGoogle Scholar
- 6.Akhtar S, Arnberg L, Di Sabatino M, Dispinar D, Syvertsen M (2008) A comparative study of porosity and pore morphology in a directionally solidified A356 alloy. Int J Metalcasting. Winter 09Google Scholar
- 7.BEST Collection 08 (2018) Oberflächenbehandlung-2018, BEST Collection 21; DIN komplett-2018Google Scholar