A Knowledge-Driven Pipeline for Transforming Big Data into Actionable Knowledge
Big biomedical data has grown exponentially during the last decades, as well as the applications that demand the understanding and discovery of the knowledge encoded in available big data. In order to address these requirements while scaling up to the dominant dimensions of big biomedical data –volume, variety, and veracity– novel data integration techniques need to be defined. In this paper, we devise a knowledge-driven approach that relies on Semantic Web technologies such as ontologies, mapping languages, linked data, to generate a knowledge graph that integrates big data. Furthermore, query processing and knowledge discovery methods are implemented on top of the knowledge graph for enabling exploration and pattern uncovering. We report on the results of applying the proposed knowledge-driven approach in the EU funded project iASiS (http://project-iasis.eu/). in order to transform big data into actionable knowledge, paying thus the way for precision medicine and health policy making.
This work has been supported by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Program for the project iASiS with grant agreement No 727658.
- 1.Auer, S., et al.: The bigdataeurope platform - supporting the variety dimension of big data. In: Web Engineering - 17th International Conference, ICWE 2017, pp. 41–59 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Collarana, D., Galkin, M., Ribón, I.T., Vidal, M., Lange, C., Auer, S.: MINTE: semantically integrating RDF graphs. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics, WIMS 2017, Amantea, Italy, 19–22 June 2017 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Endris, K.M., Almhithawi, Z., Lytra, I., Vidal, M., Auer, S.: BOUNCER: privacy-aware query processing over federations of RDF datasets. In: Database and Expert Systems Applications - 29th International Conference, DEXA 2018, Regensburg, Germany, 3–6 September 2018, Proceedings, Part I, pp. 69–84 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Lehmann, J., et al.: DBpedia - a large-scale, multilingual knowledge base extracted from Wikipedia. Semant. Web 6(2), 167–195 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Mahdisoltani, F., Biega, J., Suchanek, F.M.: YAGO3: a knowledge base from multilingual Wikipedias. In CIDR 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Ribón, I.T., Vidal, M., Kämpgen, B., Sure-Vetter, Y.: GADES: a graph-based semantic similarity measure. In: Proceedings of SEMANTICS, pp. 101–104 (2016)Google Scholar