A Non-invasive Method for Biological Age Estimation Using Frailty Phenotype Assessment
The human body has two different ages: a Chronological Age (CA), the actual time a person has been alive, and a Biological Age (BA), the real age that indicate the decline in health and in function ability during aging. Among previous studies, some authors proposed methodologies to estimate the Biological Age starting from non-invasive frailty measurements to evaluate the Frailty Index, others proposed invasive and expensive methods to measure the biological aging. Conversely, in this paper we propose a method to estimate the BA of a subject based on the assessment of the Frailty Phenotype. This type of evolution allows an efficient estimation of the frailty in contrast with the Frailty Index which is composed by a long checklist of clinical conditions and diseases to be evaluated from medical staff. We developed a cloud application, able to store and elaborate the data acquired during the evaluation protocol of the Frailty Phenotype, and also able to automatically provide the state of phenotypic fragility, and finally the Biological Age of a subject.
KeywordsBiological Age Frailty phenotype Cloud application
- 1.Arbeev KG, Cohen AA, Arbeeva LS, Milot E, Stallard E, Kulminski AM, Akushevich I, Ukraintseva SV, Christensen K, Yashin AI (2016) Optimal versus realized trajectories of physiological dysregulation in aging and their relation to sex-specific mortality risk. Front Public Health 4:3CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Haskell WL, Lee IM, Pate RR, Powell KE, Blair SN, Franklin BA, Macera CA, Heath GW, Thompson PD, Bauman A (2007) Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the american college of sports medicine and the american heart association. Circulation 116(9):1081CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Mathias S, Nayak U, Isaacs B (1986) Balance in elderly patients: the" get-up and go" test. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 67(6):387–389Google Scholar
- 15.Palma L, Pernini L, Belli A, Valenti S, Maurizi L, Pierleoni P (2016) Ipv6 wsn solution for integration and interoperation between smart home and aal systems. In: IEEE sensors applications symposium (SAS), pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 17.Pierleoni P, Belli A, Palma L, Pernini L, Valenti S (2014) An accurate device for real-time altitude estimation using data fusion algorithms. In: IEEE/ASME 10th international conference on mechatronic and embedded systems and applications (MESA), pp 1–5 (2014)Google Scholar