Multi-domain Model of Healthy Ageing: The Experience of the H2020 NESTORE Project
Ageing is a complex multidimensional and multifactorial process associated with the decline in multiple physiological systems which can lead to frailties and disabilities over the lifespan. With the aim of supporting healthy older adults in order to sustain their wellbeing and capacity to live independently, the NESTORE project was recently funded by the EU Commission. In order to take into account the complex interactions among different aspects involved in the ageing processes, a model of healthy ageing was developed in NESTORE. This model included three core dimensions related to older people wellbeing (Physical/Physiological, Nutritional, Cognitive/Mental/Social). The NESTORE model was intended to provide a structured arrangement of the knowledge coming from such different domains in order to provide a simplified pool of information for: (i) the characterization of the older adults, (ii) the personalization of the coaching plans and (iii) the implementation of an effective ICT system.
KeywordsHealthy ageing model Multi-domain NESTORE
NESTORE is co-funded by the European Commission under the H2020 program, GA769643. The authors wish to thank all partners involved in the WP2 activities of NESTORE. In particular, the authors desire to thank Antoni Salvà (Fundació Salut i Envelliment, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona), Filippo Palumbo (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche), Michele Girolami (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche) and Martin Sykora (University of Loughborough, Centre for Information Management).
- 1.European Commission: Active ageing and solidarity between generations—a statistical portrait of the European Union (Eurostat report 2012)Google Scholar
- 2.European Commission: Eurosat: population structure and ageing. http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Population_structure_and_ageing#Future_trends_in_population_ageing
- 4.Wagster MV, King JW, Resnick SM, Rapp PR (2012) The 87% guest editorial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 67(7):739–740Google Scholar
- 5.NESTORE official web-site https://nestore.ro/home
- 6.Carrino S, Caon M, Angelini L, Mugellini E, Khaled OA, Orte S, Vargiu E, Coulson N, Serrano JC, Tabozzi S, Lafortuna C, Rizzo G (2014) PEGASO: a personalized and motivational ICT system to empower adolescents towards healthy lifestyles. Innov Med HealthcGoogle Scholar
- 10.Boss GR, Seegmiller JE (1981) Age-related physiological changes and their clinical significance. West J Med 135(6):434Google Scholar
- 12.Geary DC (2005). The origin of mind: evolution of brain, cognition, and general intelligence. American Psychological AssociationGoogle Scholar