Dependable and Coordinated Resources Allocation Algorithms for Distributed Computing
In this work, we introduce slot selection and co-allocation algorithms for parallel jobs in distributed computing with non-dedicated and heterogeneous resources. A single slot is a time span that can be assigned to a task, which is a part of a parallel job. The job launch requires a co-allocation of a specified number of slots starting and finishing synchronously. Some existing resource co-allocation algorithms assign a job to the first set of slots matching the resource request without any optimization (the first fit type), while other algorithms are based on an exhaustive search. In this paper, algorithms for efficient, dependable and coordinated slot selection are studied and compared with known approaches. The novelty of the proposed approach is in a general algorithm efficiently selecting a set of slots according to the specified criterion.
KeywordsDistributed computing Grid Dependability Coordinated scheduling Resource management Slot Job Allocation Optimization
This work was partially supported by the Council on Grants of the President of the Russian Federation for State Support of Young Scientists (YPhD-2297.2017.9), RFBR (grants 18-07-00456 and 18-07-00534) and by the Ministry on Education and Science of the Russian Federation (project no. 2.9606.2017/8.9).
- 1.Dimitriadou, S.K., Karatza, H.D.: Job scheduling in a distributed system using backfilling with inaccurate runtime computations. In: Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems, pp. 329–336 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, R., Xu, J.: Computing at massive scale: scalability and dependability challenges. In: 2016 IEEE Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering (SOSE), pp. 386–397 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Aida, K., Casanova, H.: Scheduling mixed-parallel applications with advance reservations. In: 17th IEEE International Symposium on HPDC, pp. 65–74. IEEE CS Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Takefusa, A., Nakada, H., Kudoh, T., Tanaka, Y.: An advance reservation-based co-allocation algorithm for distributed computers and network bandwidth on QoS-guaranteed grids. In: Frachtenberg, E., Schwiegelshohn, U. (eds.) JSSPP 2010. LNCS, vol. 6253, pp. 16–34. Springer, Heidelberg (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-16505-4_2CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Moab Adaptive Computing. http://www.adaptivecomputing.com. Accessed 12 Apr 2018
- 16.Toporkov, V., Toporkova, A., Bobchenkov, A., Yemelyanov, D.: Resource selection algorithms for economic scheduling in distributed systems. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Science, ICCS 2011, 1–3 June 2011, Singapore, Procedia Computer Science, vol. 4, pp. 2267–2276. Elsevier (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Makhlouf, S., Yagoubi, B.: Resources co-allocation strategies in grid computing. In: CIIA, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 825 (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Netto, M.A.S., Buyya, R.: A flexible resource co-allocation model based on advance reservations with rescheduling support. In: Technical Report, GRIDSTR-2007-17, Grid Computing and Distributed Systems Laboratory, The University of Melbourne, Australia, 9 October 2007Google Scholar