Simulation and Optimization of Aircraft Assembly Process Using Supercomputer Technologies
Airframe assembly is mainly based on the riveting of large-scale aircraft parts, and manufacturers are highly concerned about acceleration of this process. Simulation of riveting emerges the necessity for contact problem solving in order to prevent the penetration of parts under the loads from fastening elements (fasteners). Specialized methodology is elaborated that allows reducing the dimension and transforming the original problem into quadratic programming one with input data provided by disposition of fasteners and initial gap field between considered parts.
While optimization of a manufacturing process the detailed analysis of the assembly has to be done. This leads to series of similar computations that differ only in input data sets provided by the variations of gap and fastener locations. Thus, task parallelism can be exploited, and the problem can be efficiently solved by means of supercomputer.
The paper is devoted to the cluster version of software complex developed for aircraft assembly simulation in the terms of the joint project between Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University and Airbus SAS. The main features of the complex are described, and application cases are considered.
KeywordsAircraft assembly Optimization Supercomputing Task parallelism Quadratic programming
- 2.Dahlström, S.: Variation simulation of sheet metal assemblies for geometrical quality: parameter modeling and analysis. Ph.D. thesis. Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Marguet, B., Chevassus, N., Falgarone, H., Bourdet, P.: Geometrical behavior laws for computer aided tolerancing: AnaTole a tool for structural assembly tolerance analysis. In: 8th CIRP Seminar on Computer-Aided Tolerancing, Charlotte, pp. 124–131 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Warmefjord, K., Söderberg, R., Lindau, B., Lindkvist, L., Lorin, S.: Joining in nonrigid variation simulation. Computer-aided Technologies, Intech (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Dimensional Control System (DCS) Homepage. http://www.3dcs.com. Accessed 21 May 2017
- 13.Lupuleac, S., Petukhova, M., Shinder, J., Smirnov, A., et al.: Software complex for simulation of riveting process: concept and applications. In: SAE Technical Papers, 2016-01-2090 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Lupuleac, S., Zaitseva, N., Petukhova, M., Shinder, J., et al.: Combination of experimental and computational approaches to A320 wing assembly. In: SAE Technical Papers, 2017-01-2085 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Powell, M.J.D.: On the quadratic programming algorithm of Goldfarb and Idnani. In: Cottle, R.W. (ed.) Mathematical Programming Essays in Honor of George B. Dantzig, Part II, Mathematical Programming Studies Book Series, vol. 25, pp. 46–61. Springer, Heidelberg (1985)Google Scholar