Examination of Clastic Oil and Gas Reservoir Rock Permeability Modeling by Molecular Dynamics Simulation Using High-Performance Computing
“Digital rock” is a multi-purpose tool for solving a variety of tasks in the field of geological exploration and production of hydrocarbons at various stages, designed to improve the accuracy of geological study of subsurface resources, the efficiency of reproduction and usage of mineral resources, as well as applying of the results obtained in industry. This paper presents the results of numerical calculations and their comparison with the full-scale natural examination. Laboratory studies have been supplemented with petrographic descriptions to deepen an insight into behaviors of the studied rock material. There is a general tendency to overestimate the permeability, which may be associated with the application of a rather crude resistive model for assessing permeability and owing to the porous cement has not been considered.
KeywordsDigital rock model High-Performance computing Clastic oil and gas reservoir’s rock Molecular dynamics
The research was carried out with the financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) within the framework of the scientific project No. 16- 29-15116 All models has been simulated used HPC environment at NArFU(HPC NArFU).
- 1.Renard, P., Genty, A., Stauffer, F.: Laboratory determination of the full permeability tensor. J. Geophys. Res. 106, 443–452 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Mizgulin, V.V., Kosulnikov, V.V., Kadushnikov, R.M.: An optimization approach to simulation of microstructures. Comput. Res. Model. 5(4), 597–606 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Hanin A.A.: Reservoir rocks of oil and gas and their study. Nedra (1969)Google Scholar
- 11.HPC NArFU. http://narfu.ru/imikt/science/cluster. Accessed 13 Nov 2016
- 12.LAMMPS Molecular Dynamics Simulator. http://lammps.sandia.gov. Accessed 13 Nov 2016
- 13.Berezovsky, V.: GEOSCI. https://github.com/valber-8/geosci. Accessed 13 Nov 2017
- 14.Vladimirov, A., Asai, R., Karpusenko, V.: Parallel Programming and Optimization with Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors. Colfax International (2015). ISBN 978-0-9885234-0-1Google Scholar