Evolution of the Intermetallic Particle Distribution in Thixomolded Magnesium Alloys
The spatial distribution of intermetallic particles in magnesium alloys is critical to achieve a favorable combination of mechanical properties. The initial microstructure of Thixomolded alloys, with a fine homogeneous grain structure and intermetallic particle distribution, results in particularly favorable behavior. However, the as-molded microstructure is far from equilibrium. In this manuscript, the Thixomolded structure is characterized before and after heat treatment using electron microscopy.
KeywordsThixomolding Heat treatment Intermetallic particles
The authors would like to thank Dr. Ray Decker and nanoMAG, LLC for providing the material used in this study. This work was performed in part at the Analytical Instrumentation Facility (AIF) at North Carolina State University, which is supported by the State of North Carolina and the National Science Foundation (award number ECCS-1542015). The AIF is a member of the North Carolina Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network (RTNN), a site in the National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI).
- 3.J. Nie: Scripta Materialia, 2003, vol. 48: 1009–1015.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Ball and P. Prangnell: Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia, 1994, vol. 31(2): 111–116.Google Scholar
- 10.J. W. Senn and S. R. Agnew: in M. O. Pekguleryuz, N. R. Neelameggham, R. S. Beals, and E. A. Nyberg (eds.), Magnesium Technology, TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), 2008 pp. 153–158.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Singh, D. A. Basha, H. Somekawa, and K. Tsuchiya: Scripta Materialia, 2017, vol. 134: 80–84, 00007.Google Scholar
- 16.T. D. Berman, W. Donlon, V. M. Miller, R. Decker, J. Huang, T. M. Pollock, and J. W. Jones: Magnesium Technology 2012 w/CD, 2012, p. 339.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Decker, S. LeBeau, T. Berman, T. Miller, J. Wayne Jones, T. Pollock, N. Moskovich, and B. Bronfin: in K. N. Solanki, D. Orlov, A. Singh, and N. R. Neelameggham (eds.), Magnesium Technology 2017, Springer International Publishing, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, 2017 pp. 235–243, 00000.Google Scholar
- 19.Pandat with PanMagneisum database, Computherm, LLC, 2008.Google Scholar
- 22.T. D. Berman, W. Donlon, C. Hung, P. Milligan, R. Decker, T. M. Pollock, and J. W. Jones: in Magnesium Technology 2013, TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), 2013 p. 113.Google Scholar
- 23.T. D. Berman: Microstructure Evolution and Tensile Deformation in Mg Alloy AZ61 Through Thixomolding and Thermomechanical Processing, Doctoral Thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2014.Google Scholar
- 24.V. M. Miller: Texture Evolution during Thermomechanical Processing in Rare Earth Free Magnesium Alloys, PhD dissertation, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, 2016.Google Scholar