Development of Biocomposite Materials from Biodegradable Polymer and Bio-hydroxyapatite Derived from Eggshells for Biomedical Applications
Nowadays, significant advances have been made in the development of biodegradable polymeric materials for biomedical applications. This study aims to prepare and characterize composite materials based on PLA/PBAT, a biodegradable polymer blend, reinforced with bio-hydroxyapatite (bio-HAp). First, bio-HAp was obtained from eggshell residues by the wet precipitation method. PLA/PBAT blend with 1.5 wt% of bio-HAp was prepared by melt extrusion and injection molding process. Part of composite samples was irradiated with gamma radiation dose of 25 kGy, at room temperature and presence of air. The effects of the bio-HAp addition into the biodegradable blend were investigated by mechanical tests, XRD, DSC, FE-SEM, and cytotoxicity “in vitro” analysis and the correlation between the properties was discussed. In addition, the microbiological tests were carried out at irradiated and non-irradiated composite samples in order to evaluate the efficiency of the radiation dose of 25 kGy at composite materials sterilization.
KeywordsBio-hydroxyapatite Biodegradable polymer blend Biomedical applications Cytotoxicity “in vitro” Microbiological tests
The authors wish to thank CAPES and IPEN for providing the support for this work.
- 1.Marques RD (2011) Obtaining and characterizing polymer blends of poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid) and poly (isoprene) for application as biomaterial. J Polymer Environ 234–241Google Scholar
- 3.Kang Y, Chen P, Shi X, Zhang G, Wang C (2018) Preparation of open-porous stereocomplex PLA/PBAT scaffolds and correlation between their morphology, mechanical behavior, and cell compatibility. R Soc Chem 65–75Google Scholar
- 4.Moraes MFV (2004) Produção e caracterização de blenda polimérica biodegradável poli(hidroxibutirato)[PHB]/copoliéster alifático aromático para aplicações em embalagensGoogle Scholar
- 5.Adrar S, Habi A, Ajji A, Grohens Y (2018) Synergistic effects in epoxy functionalized graphene and modified organo-montmorillonite PLA/PBAT blends. Appl Clay Sci 12933–12943Google Scholar
- 7.Caliman LB (2011) Síntese e caracterização de hidroxiapatita obtida a partir de casca de ovo de avestruz. Química nova 142–150Google Scholar
- 9.Charlesby A (1960) Atomic Radiation and polymers. Pergamon Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kang Y, Chen P, Shi X, Zhang G, Wang C (2018) Preparation of open-porous stereocomplex PLA/PBAT scaffolds and correlation between their morphology, mechanical behavior, and cell compatibility. R Soc Chem 8:65–75Google Scholar