Conclusion: Bonhoeffer the Conspirator—A Dangerous Heroism?
This chapter, the conclusion, asks to what extent the American evangelical reading of Bonhoeffer as a ‘Christian’ example of justified last resort violence is legitimate. It suggests that the image of isolated discipleship that endorses violence can be found in parts of Bonhoeffer’s writing, but should not be considered the final Bonhoeffer message for a contemporary age. It draws attention to the dangers of Bonhoeffer’s political theology, particularly in light of Schmitt’s vision for political life and the current global political climate, including America’s own faith-guided political life.
- Agamben, Giorgio. 2005. State of Exception, trans. Kevin Attell. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Bambach, Charles R. 1995. Heidegger, Dilthey, and the Crisis of Historicism. New York and London: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Bernauer, James. 2007. Bonhoeffer and Arendt at One Hundred. Studies in Christian-Jewish Relations 2 (1): 77–85.Google Scholar
- Bethge, Eberhard. 1977. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Theologian, Christian, Contemporary, trans. Eric Mosbacher, Peter and Betty Ross, Frank Clarke, and William Glen-Doepel. London: Fountain Books.Google Scholar
- Bonhoeffer. 2010a. Letters and Papers from Prison, trans. Isabel Best, Lisa E. Dahill, Reinhard Krauss, and Nancy Lukens. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works English. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.Google Scholar
- Bonhoeffer. 2010b. Letters and Papers from Prison, trans. Isabel Best, Lisa E. Dahill, Reinhard Krauss, and Nancy Lukens. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works in English. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.Google Scholar
- Gregersen, Niels Henrik. 2007. The Mysteries of Christ and Creation. In Mysteries in the Theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, ed. Kirsten Busch Nielsen, Ulrik Nissen, and Christiane Tietz, 135–158. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht.Google Scholar
- Huntemann, George. 1993. The Other Bonhoeffer: An Evangelical Reassessment. Grand Rapids: Baker Publishing Group.Google Scholar
- Manoussakis, John Panteleimon. 2009. “At the Recurrent End of the Unending”: Bonhoeffer’s Eschatology of the Penultimate. In Bonhoeffer and Continental Thought: Cruciform Philosophy, ed. Brian Gregor and Jens Zimmerman, 226–244. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Marty, Martin Emil. 1963. The Place of Bonhoeffer. London: SCM Press.Google Scholar
- Rasmussen, Larry. 2005. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Reality and Resistance. Louisville: Kentucky Westminster John Knox Press.Google Scholar
- Rumscheidt, Martin. 1989. Adolf Von Harnack: Liberal Theology at Its Height. London: Collins.Google Scholar
- Rumscheidt, Martin. 2008. The Significance of Aodlf von Harnack and Reinhold Seeberg for Dietrich Bonhoeffer. In Bonhoeffer’s Intellectual Formation, ed. Peter Frick, 201–224. Tübingen, Germany: Mohr Siebeck.Google Scholar