Where There’s Brass…
Chapter 8 critically explores some of the cultural–political fault lines that have emerged at supporter owned ‘breakaway’ club FC United of Manchester in recent years. A growing disconnect between club officials and many supporters led to a series of damaging conflicts, as well as revelations as to the parlous state of the club’s finances. It is argued that this is testament not only to the entrenchment of a culture of complacency and deference in the club’s formative years but also to defensive responses by officials that run counter to the club’s open, democratic ethos. Crucially, such conflicts cannot be dismissed as the failings of individual personalities or group characteristics, but instead are telling of wider, more general political and cultural tendencies.
- Forgacs, D., & Nowell-Smith, G. (Eds.). (1985). Antonio Gramsci: Selections from Cultural Writings. London: Lawrence and Wishart.Google Scholar
- Goldblatt, D. (2015). The Game of Our Lives: The Meaning and Making of English Football. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Gramsci, A. (1971). Selections from the Prison Notebooks. London: Lawrence and Wishart.Google Scholar
- King, I. (2010, February 5). Eighteen Days Left to Save Notts County. twohundredpercent.net. http://twohundredpercent.net/eighteen-days-left-to-save-notts-county/.
- Lanchester, J. (2010). Whoops! Why Everyone Owes Everyone and No One Can Pay. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Manchester Evening News. (2011, November 11). Opponents to FC United Stadium in Moston Suffer Setback in ‘Charitable Land’ Ruling. Manchester Evening News. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/opponents-to-fc-united-stadium-in-moston-874654.
- Manchester Evening News. (2012, August 2). Moston Residents Mount Challenge to Stop FC United’s New Stadium. Manchester Evening News. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/moston-residents-mount-challenge-to-stop-692319.
- National Union of Journalists. (2010, December 15). Strikes Halt News Across the Country. The Journalist. http://issuu.com/nujupload/docs/journalist_dec_jan_2011.
- O’Neill, J.-P. (2017). Red Rebels: The Glazers and the FC Revolution. London: Yellow Jersey Press.Google Scholar
- Place North West. (2017a, April 6). Sir Howard Bernstein Takes Paid Role at Deloitte. https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/sir-howard-bernstein-takes-paid-role-at-deloitte/.
- Place North West. (2017b, November 7). Bernstein Takes Development Brief at City. https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/bernstein-takes-development-brief-at-city/.
- Sale, C. (2011, March 7). FC United Rebels Smell a Rat Over Manchester City Stadium Deal. Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1363981/CHARLES-SALE-FC-United-rebels-smell-rat-Manchester-City-stadium-deal.html.