How to run a control experiment.
How to adopt a design of experiment (DOE) approach.
I will show you, with the aid of a case study, how the two approaches differ from one another. Although running a control experiment is more straightforward to conduct (compared to adopting the DOE approach), its major limitation is that it does not take into account real-world scenarios, in that it is unable to handle the interactions between two or more variables.
KeywordsHypothesis Variables Control experiment Design of experiment Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy
- Ary, D., Jacobs, L. C., Razavieh, A., & Ary, D. (2010). Introduction to research in education. Boston: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Barnard, C. J., Gilbert, F. S., & McGregor, P. K. (2007). Asking questions in biology: A guide to hypothesis-testing, analysis and presentation in practical work and research. London: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Brereton, R. G. (1992). Multivariate pattern recognition in chemometrics: Illustrated by case studies. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Cowan, G. (1998). Statistical data analysis. Wotton-under-Edge: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Ellison, S. L. R., Farrant, T. J., & Barwick, V. (2009). Practical statistics for the analytical scientist: A bench guide. Cambridge: RSC Publishing.Google Scholar
- JMP 30-Day Trial Download | JMP. (n.d.). Retrieved October 2, 2017, from https://www.jmp.com.
- Khuri, A. I., & Cornell, J. A. (1996). Response surfaces: Designs and analyses. New York: Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- Kirk, R. E. (2012). Experimental design: Procedures for the behavioral sciences. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Levine, D. M. (2006). Statistics for six sigma green belts: With Minitab and JMP. London: Pearson P T R.Google Scholar
- Mathews, P. G. (2005). Design of experiments with MINITAB. Milwaukee: American Society Quality, Quality Press.Google Scholar
- Minitab Statistical Software - Minitab. (n.d.). Retrieved October 2, 2017, from http://www.minitab.com.
- Montgomery, D. C. (2009). Design and analysis of experiments. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Royal Society of Chemistry (Great Britain). Faraday Division. (2006). Surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy: Imperial college, London, 19–21 September 2005. Piccadilly: RSC Publications.Google Scholar
- Williamson, K., & Bow, A. (2002). Research methods for students, academics and professionals: Information management and systems.Google Scholar