To some, heading for self-employment is considered to be a bold move and thus not worth the risk. Yet, to others, this can be seen as a positive and liberating move. However, before you do decide to leave your daytime job, it is important to consider what you will be giving up as a result of being self-employed. This chapter is all about the topic of self-employment and to give you sufficient knowledge, to help you decide if self-employment is the right path for you.
How to minimise your financial risks.
How to develop a business plan.
Although there are many factors that can affect the success of a business, ultimately it lies on your ability to be able to read the market accurately that is key.
KeywordsSelf-employed Business Sole trader Market
- Ali, M. (2002). Practical marketing and public relations for the small business. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- Barrow, C. (2007). Starting a business for dummies. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Burch, G. (2011). Self-made me: Why being self-employed beats everyday employment every time. Chichester: Capstone.Google Scholar
- Duncan, K. (2013). Start your own business in a week. London: Hachette UK.Google Scholar
- Fontana, P. K. (2009). Choosing the right legal form of business: The complete guide to becoming a sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, or corporation. Ocala: Atlantic Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Hall, R. E. (2003). Starting a small business: A step-by-step guide to help you plan and start a small business. Haverford, PA: Infinity Publishing.com.Google Scholar
- Hatten, T. S. (2012). Small business management: Entrepreneurship and beyond. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Jay, L. (2014). Self-employment--the secret to success: Essential tips for business start-ups: The beginner’s guide to setting up and managing a small business. L&J Business Solutions.Google Scholar
- Johnson, L. (2011). Start it up: Why running your own business is easier than you think. London: Portfolio.Google Scholar
- Pinson, L. (2008). Anatomy of a business plan: The step-by-step guide to building your business and securing your company’s future. Tustin, CA: Out of Your Mind and Into the Marketplace.Google Scholar
- Reuvid, J. (2011). Start up and run your own business: The essential guide to planning, funding and growing your new enterprise. Philadelphia: Kogan Page Ltd.Google Scholar
- Wallace, D., & Wallace, S. (2001). GCSE business studies. Oxford: Heinemann.Google Scholar