Curriculum Vitae (CV)
A (first) full CV, for general use and as the basis to form a more targeted CV
A (second) targeted CV, to be sent to a hiring organisation, should you wish to apply for a specific post
Nowadays, it is quite common for a hiring organisation to provide you with an application form rather than asking you for a CV. As such, I will show you how you can use your CV, as a starting point, to help you fill in an application form. Finally, I will teach you how to write a suitable cover letter, to accompany the CV or application form.
Remember that a CV or an application form will be used by the hiring organisation to potentially shortlist you for an interview. In order to improve your chances of getting an interview, I will be discussing some of the reasons for rejections, in the hope that you can avoid making common mistakes.
KeywordsCurriculum vitae Jobs CV Work experience Application form Cover letter
- Arnold, C., & Barrett, J. (2017). Taking charge of your career: The essential guide to finding the career that’s right for you. London: Bloomsbury Publishing.Google Scholar
- Cortés, L., & Mueller, K. P. (2007). How to write a résumé and get a job. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Hobbs, R. (2013). Inspire a hire: Successful job-hunting strategies for everyone. Bloomington, IN: iUniverse.Google Scholar
- Innes, J. (2009). Brilliant cover letters: What you need to know to write a truly brilliant cover letter. Harlow: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Leigh, J. (2013). Successful CVs and job applications. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Mayer, D. (2008). How to write & design a professional résumé to get the job: Insider secrets you need to know. Ocala: Atlantic Pub. Group.Google Scholar
- McGee, P. (2014). How to write a CV that really works. London: Hatchette UK.Google Scholar
- Rogers, H. (2017). Guide to writing a C.V. the easyway: Conducting a successful interview. Brighton: Easyway Guides.Google Scholar
- Yate, M. J., & Yate, M. J. (2003). The ultimate CV book: Write and perfect CV and get that job. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar