Modeling Collaboration in Parameter Design Using Multiagent Learning
This paper presents a model of collaboration in multidisciplinary engineering based on multiagent learning. Complex engineered systems are often designed through the collaboration of many designers or experts. A variety of frameworks have been presented and put in practice to help manage this collaboration, with good results; however, there have been few attempts to create an underlying model of collaboration.
This research is supported by the National Science Foundation award number CMMI-1363411. Any opinions or findings of this work are the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the sponsors or collaborators.
- 2.Sobek DK, Ward AC, Liker JK (1999) Toyota’s principles of set-based concurrent engineering. Sloan Manag Rev 40(2):67Google Scholar
- 3.Smith J (1998) Concurrent Engineering in the Jet Propulsion Laboratory Project Design Center. SAE Technical Paper 981869. Society of Automotive Engineers. https://doi.org/10.4271/981869
- 6.Shishko R, Aster R (1995) NASA systems engineering handbook. NASA Special Publication, 6105Google Scholar
- 7.Winner RI, Pennell JP, Bertrand HE, Slusarczuk MM (1988) The role of concurrent engineering in weapons system acquisition (No. IDA-R-338). Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria VAGoogle Scholar
- 16.Grogan PT, de Weck OL (Apr 2016) Collaborative design in the sustainable infrastructure planning game. In: Proceedings of the 49th annual simulation symposium (p. 4). Society for Computer Simulation InternationalGoogle Scholar
- 17.Alelyani T, Yang Y, Grogan PT (Aug 2017) Understanding designers behavior in parameter design activities. In: ASME 2017 International design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference (pp. V007T06A030-V007T06A030). American Society of Mechanical EngineersGoogle Scholar
- 22.Martins JR, Lambe AB (2013) Multidisciplinary design optimization: a survey of architectures. AIAA JGoogle Scholar
- 23.Hulse D, Gigous B (2017) Appendix A: Quadrotor design model. From: https://github.com/hulsed/QuadrotorModel/blob/master/Quadrotor%20Design%20Model.pdf
- 26.Tuyles K, Tumer K (2013) Multiagent learning. In: Weiss G (ed), Multiagent systems: a modern approach to distributed artificial intelligence (2nd ed, pp 423–484). MIT pressGoogle Scholar
- 27.Hulse D, Gigous B, Tumer K, Hoyle C, Tumer IY (2017) Towards a distributed multiagent learning-based design optimization method. In: ASME 2017 International design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference, pp V02AT03A008–V02AT03A008. American Society of Mechanical EngineersGoogle Scholar
- 30.Chachere J, Kunz J, Levitt R (2009) The role of reduced latency in integrated concurrent engineering. CIFE Working Paper #WP116Google Scholar