Rule-Based Systems in Adaptation Processes: A Methodological Framework for the Adaptation of Office Buildings into Housing
This paper proposes that conversion of redundant office buildings into housing is a viable strategy to respond to both structural vacancy and high demand for new dwellings at an affordable cost, which are widespread problems in the main urbanized contexts.
This paper is part of a Ph.D. research developed at Department of Architecture, Built Environment and Construction Engineering of the Politecnico di Milano. The grammar part was developed at the DCG FA/Ulisboa.
- 1.Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (2007) Fourth assessment report [online]. Available at: www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg3/en/ch6-ens6-es.html. Accessed on Feb 2017
- 2.Guerritore C (2017) RE(ho)USING. A methodological framework for the adaptation of office buildings into housing. Doctoral thesis, Politecnico di Milano (ABC Department), ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Antonini E, Gaspari J, Olivieri G (2011) Densificare per migliorare: strategie di riqualificazione del parco italiano di edilizia abitativa sociale (Densifying to upgrading: strategies for improving the social housing built stock in Italy), Techne no. 04. University Press, Firenze, pp 306–314. Available at www.fupress.com/techne, Accessed on Feb 2017
- 6.Guerritore C (2017) ‘The sample in the urban region of Milan’ part III in RE(ho)USING. A methodological framework for the adaptation of office buildings into housing. Doctoral thesis, Politecnico di Milano (ABC Department), ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 7.Duarte JP (2001) Customizing mass housing: a discursive grammar for Siza’s Malagueira houses. Doctoral thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, E.U.AGoogle Scholar
- 8.Eloy S (2012) A Transformation grammar-based methodology for housing rehabilitation: meeting contemporary functional and ICT requirements. Thesis submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Architecture, IST, TU LisbonGoogle Scholar
- 9.Knight TW (1994) Transformations in design. A formal approach to stylistic change and innovation in the visual arts. Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 10.Guerritore C, Duarte JP (2016) Manifold façades. A grammar-based approach for the adaptation of office buildings into housing. In: Aulikki H, Osterlund T, Markkanen P (eds) Complexity and simplicity: proceedings of the 34th international eCAADe conference, Oulu, Finland, 24–26 Aug 2016, vol 2. eCAADe (Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe) and Oulu School of Architecture, University of Oulu, Brussels, pp 189–198Google Scholar