The “Red DNA”: How Discourses of Class and Race Integrate
There is a structural similarity between classism and racism in their logics and social functions: both of them essentialize people’s social belongings and accordingly consign them identities, and this type of given identity becomes the basis of politics of differentiation, the fundamental instrument played by both communists and racists in manipulating the population and maintaining their regimes. As Arendt argued, as ideology, both of them had “tremendous power of persuasion.”
- CCPCMC Chinese Communist Party Central Military Committee. (2018). 中央军委印发《传承红色基因实施纲要》 [CCPCMC Issues “Outlines Regarding the Implementation of the Red DNA Inheritance”]. http://www.xinhuanet.com/politics/2018-06/18/c_1122999691.htm. Accessed October 11, 2018.
- Law, I. (2012). Rad Racisms Racism in Communist and Post-Communist Contexts. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Poliakov, L. (1971). The Aryan Myth, a History of Racist and Nationalist Ideas in Europe. New York: Barnes & Noble.Google Scholar
- Stultz, K. (2017). Racial Nationalism & Party Legitimacy in China. https://theconflictcomment.com/2017/04/17/racial-nationalism-party-legitimacy-in-china/. Accessed October 3, 2018.
- Weiner, M. (1996). The Invention of Identity in Pre-War Japan. In F. Dikötter (Ed.), The Construction of Racial Identities in China and Japan. London: Hurst.Google Scholar
- Xi, J. 习近平. (2016). 把“红色基因”融入血脉 [Infuse the Red DNA in the Blood Lineage]. http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2016-01-14/doc-ifxnkvtn9957303.shtml. Accessed October 2, 2018.
- Xi, J. 习近平. (2017). 永志不忘的红色血脉 [Unforgettable Red Blood Lineage]. http://news.cctv.com/2017/08/07/ARTIqE413gLFYsDHHiv7gYhs170807.shtml. Accessed October 2, 2018.
- Xi, J. 习近平. (2018). 红色基因是要验证的 [The Red Gene (in Your Blood) Needs to Be Verified]. http://lianghui.huanqiu.com/2018/roll/2018-03/11651712.html. Accessed October 2, 2018.
- Zhejiang Daily. (2009, August 13). 浪迹天涯路几千 国旗的设计者曾联松 [The Designer of the National Flag]. http://dangshi.people.com.cn/GB/85038/9853036.html. Accessed October 31, 2018.