An Effective Heuristic for a Single-Machine Scheduling Problem with Family Setups and Resource Constraints
This paper presents a simple and effective iterated greedy heuristic to minimize the total tardiness in a single-machine scheduling problem. In this problem the jobs are classified in families and setup times are required between the processing of two jobs of different families. Each job requires a certain amount of resource that is supplied through upstream processes. The total resource consumed must not exceed the resource supply up. Therefore, jobs may have to wait and the machine has to be idle due to an insufficient availability of the resource. The iterated greedy heuristic is tested over an extensive computational experience on benchmark of instances from the literature and randomly generated in this work. Results show that the developed heuristic significantly outperforms a state-of-the-art heuristic in terms of solution quality.
KeywordsSingle machine scheduling Family setup-times Resource constraints Total tardiness Meta-heuristics
The authors thanks the financial support of FAPEMIG, CAPES and CNPq, Brazilian research agencies.
- 14.Lin, S., Ying, K.: A hybrid approach for single-machine tardiness problems with sequence-dependent setup times. J. Oper. Res. Soc. 59(8), 1109–1119 (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Schaller, J.: Scheduling on a single machine with family setups to minimize total tardiness. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 105(2), 329–344 (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Sen, T., Sulek, J.M., Dileepan, P.: Static scheduling research to minimize weighted and unweighted tardiness: a state-of-the-art survey. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 83(1), 1–12 (2003)Google Scholar
- 22.Subramanian, A., Battarra, M., Potts, C.N.: An iterated local search heuristic for the single machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem with sequence-dependent setup times. Int. J. Prod. Res. 52(9), 2729–2742 (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.Jacob, V.V., Arroyo, J.E.C.: ILS heuristics for the single-machine scheduling problem with sequence-dependent family setup times to minimize total tardiness. J. Appl. Math. 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 25.Ying, K.-C., Lin, S.-W., Huang, C.-Y.: Sequencing single-machine tardiness problems with sequence dependent setup times using an iterated greedy heuristic. Exp. Syst. Appl. 36(3), 7087–7092 (2009)Google Scholar