Improvement of Power Quality Using Backstepping Control Strategy for a Transformerless Dual-Stage Grid-Connected Photovoltaic System
A nonlinear control of the active and reactive power for a photovoltaic system is presented in this paper. The generated power is injected into the electrical grid via transformerless single-phase voltage source inverter. The conception of the proposed controller is based on the backstepping approach to develop the inverter control laws. Additionally, the global asymptotic stability of the system is guaranteed using the Lyapunov stability approach. In order to examine the performance of the proposed controller, a comparative study has been established between the obtained results and those of the conventional linear controller under irradiance variation. As a result, the proposed controller presents better reference tracking and provides unity power factor. Moreover, the harmonic analysis demonstrates that the injected power into the electrical grid has an improved quality using the backstepping control approach.
KeywordsGrid-connected inverter Backstepping control Active and reactive power control Total harmonic distortion
- Abouobaida, H., Cherkaoui, M., & Ouassaid, M. (2011). Robust maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic cells: A backstepping mode control approach. In International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems (pp. 1–4). https://doi.org/10.1109/icmcs.2011.5945706.
- Chatterjee, A., Mohanty, K., Kommukuri, V. S., & Thakre, K. (2017). Design and experimental investigation of digital model predictive current controller for single phase grid integrated photovoltaic systems. Renewable Energy, 108, 438–448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.02.057.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guofei, T., Guochun, X., Zhibo, Z., & Yong, L. (2012). A control method with grid disturbances suppression for a single-phase LCL-filter-based. In Twenty-Seventh Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC) (pp. 1489–1493). https://doi.org/10.1109/apec.2012.6166017.
- Kim, I.-S., Kim, M. B., & Youn, M. J. (2006). New maximum power point tracker using sliding-mode observer for estimation of solar array current in the grid-connected photovoltaic system. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 53, 1027–1035. https://doi.org/10.1109/tie.2006.878331.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kousksou, T., Allouhi, A., Belattar, M., Jamil, A., El Rhafiki, T., Arid, A., & Zeraouli, Y. (2015). Renewable energy potential and national policy directions for sustainable development in Morocco. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 47, 46–57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.02.056.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Messalti, S., Harrag, A., & Loukriz, A. (2015). A new neural networks MPPT controller for PV systems. In 6th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC) (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/irec.2015.7110907.
- Ouassaid, M., Cherkaoui, M., & Maaroufi, M. (2005). Improved nonlinear velocity tracking control for synchronous motor drive using backstepping design strategy. In IEEE Russia Power Tech, St. Petersburg (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/ptc.2005.4524565.
- Pervej, M. F., Roy, T. K., Tumpa, F. K., & Sarkar, M. I. (2016). Nonlinear backstepping controller design for a three-phase grid-connected photovoltaic system using DPC approach. In 9th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (pp. 407–410). https://doi.org/10.1109/icece.2016.7853943.
- Premrudeepreechacharn, S., & Poapornsawan, T. (2000). Fuzzy logic control of predictive current control for grid-connected single phase inverter. In Conference Record of the Twenty-Eighth IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (pp. 1715–1718). https://doi.org/10.1109/PVSC.2000.916234.
- Samerchur, S., Premrudeepreechacharn, S., Kumsuwun, Y., & Higuchi, K. (2011). Power control of single-phase voltage source inverter for grid-connected photovoltaic systems. In IEEE/PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/psce.2011.5772504.
- Schimpf, F., & Norum, L. E. (2008). Grid connected converters for photovoltaic, state of the art, ideas for improvement of transformerless inverters. In Nordic Workshop on Power and Industrial Electronics.Google Scholar
- Viola, J., Restrepo, J., Aller, J. M., Diaz, M., Harley, R., & Habetler, T. (2007) Simplified control structure for current control of single phase rectifiers using COT-ANN-PWM. In Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (pp. 1370–1374). https://doi.org/10.1109/ijcnn.2007.4371158.
- Xuesong, Z., Daichun, S., Youjie, M., & Deshu, C. (2010). Grid-connected control and simulation of single-phase two-level photovoltaic power generation system based on repetitive control. In International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation (pp. 366–369). https://doi.org/10.1109/icmtma.2010.307.
- Yu, B., & Chang, L. (2005). Improved predictive current controlled PWM for single-phase grid-connected voltage source inverters. In PESC Record—IEEE Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (pp. 231–236). https://doi.org/10.1109/pesc.2005.1581629.