Generic Client–Server Interfaces for Real-Time Remote Automatic Control Laboratory
This paper constitutes a contribution in Distance Education field’s (E-Learning), more precisely to the Distance Training by practical activities of the laboratory (E-Lab). Indeed, the majority of distance training platforms offer theoretical courses and a few practical activities which are essential in training theoretical Science and Technology. In this work, we propose a generic and open hardware/software architecture which permits remote access to a laboratory’s equipment. We detail the implementation and the use of two user-friendly graphical interfaces using Internet/Intranet network and TCP/IP communication protocol. These interfaces designed in MATLAB environment, work both in intranet and internet network. It allows to a learner a real-time control and supervision to carry out all the practical activity according to a pedagogical scenario elaborated by the trainer. The functioning of these interfaces is illustrated by educational sessions articulated on the Proportional–Integral–Derivative (PID) regulation and the Generalized Predictive Control (GPC) of the temperature control system. The challenge is to elaborate a remote practical activity taking into the pedagogical effectiveness is accomplished in the proposed solution. The remote training platform equipped by a specific hardware and software, allows to achieve traditional laboratory experimentations.
KeywordsE-learning E-lab Matlab Client/server architecture TCP/IP Automatic control Supervision PID GPC
- Petre, E. A., Luthon, F., Larroque, B., Dibon, P., & Fiton, J. M. (Nov 2010). LaboREM: Laboratoire flexible pour instrumentation déportée et travaux pratiques à distance. In: 7eme REAL Rencontre Europe Amérique Latine, Colombie.Google Scholar
- Mucheta, D. (2011). Plate-forme pour travaux pratiques à distance sur le Web. Thèse de doctorat soutenue à l’Université de Ferhat Abbas de Sétif, Algérie.Google Scholar
- Larroque, B., Luthon, F. (2016). LaboREM: de vrais TP d’électronique Oui mais à distance. Congrès National de la Recherche des IUT (CNRIUT’2016), Nantes, 8–9 Juin.Google Scholar
- Iftode, L., Fosalau, C. (2013). Analysis of data transmitted between the server and the client through different types of communication. Publicat de Universitatea Tehnica Gheorghe Asachi din Iasi, Fasc. 1 (pp. 105–118). ISSN 1223-8139.Google Scholar
- Bisoyi, A., Pati, U. C. (March 2013). Implementation of ON/OFF and PID controller using TCP Protocol Based on Virtual instrumentation. International Journal of Advanced Computer Research, 3(8). ISSN No. 2249-7277Google Scholar
- Luthon, F., & Larroque, B. (2014). LaboREM: A remote laboratory for game-like training in electronics. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1–13.Google Scholar
- Abu-Aisheh, A., & Farahmand, F. (2010). LabVIEW-based integrated virtual learning platform. In: 10th IEEE international conference on advanced learning technologies. Sousse, Tunisia.Google Scholar
- Garcia-Zubia, J. A. (2011). Using remote labs in education: Two little ducks in remote experimentation. University of Deusto, Bilbao, Spain. ISBN 978-84-9830-398-8.Google Scholar
- Fillahi, D., Bennis, N., & El Hani, S. (2017). International Conference on Electrical and Information Technologies (ICEIT) (pp. 15–17). Rabat, Morocco.Google Scholar
- ENSET of Rabat, University Mohammed V of Rabat, Morocco. http://enset.um5.ac.ma/.