Lyapunov-Based Control of Single-Phase AC–DC Power Converter for BEV Charger
In this paper, we consider the problem of controlling single-phase ac–dc power converter for battery electric vehicle (BEV) charger. The control objectives are threefold: (i) unitary power factor (UPF) in grid side, (ii) tight regulation of dc-bus voltage to its constant reference in dc side, and (iii) asymptotic stability of the closed-loop system. Based on the nonlinear model of the studied system, a nonlinear controller is designed using Lyapunov approach. In order to validate the effectiveness of the proposed nonlinear controller, several numerical simulations are performed using the MATLAB/Simulink software.
KeywordsAc–dc power converter BEV charger Unitary power factor Nonlinear control Lyapunov approach
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of the Moroccan Ministry of Higher Education (MESRSFC) and the CNRST under grant number PPR/2015/36.
- Chavan, R. R., & Thorat, A. R. (2016). Modified PWM technique for bidirectional AC/DC converter to reduce switching loss with fuzzy logic control for grid tied microgrid system. In 2016 International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy Information and Communication (ICCPEIC) (pp. 392–397). IEEE.Google Scholar
- El Fadil, H., & Giri, F. (2012a). MPPT and unity power factor achievement in grid-connected PV system using nonlinear control. IFAC Proceedings, 45, 363–368.Google Scholar
- El Fadil, H., & Giri, F. (2012b). Sliding mode control of fuel cell and supercapacitor hybrid energy storage system. In Proceeding of the IFAC Symposium on Power Plants and Power Systems Control (PPPSC’12), IFAC Proceedings Volumes (pp. 669–674). Toulouse, France: Elsivier. https://doi.org/10.3182/20120902-4-FR-2032.00117.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El Fadil, H., Giri, F., & Guerrero, J. (2012). Lyapunov based control of hybrid energy storage system in electric vehicles. In Proceeding of the American Control Conference (ACC) (pp. 5005–5010). Montréal, Canada: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACC.2012.6314673.
- Hegazy, O., Van Mierlo, J., Barrero, R., Lataire, P., Omar, N., & Coosemans, T. (2013). A comparative study of different control strategies of on-board battery chargers for battery electric vehicles. In 2013 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Ecological Vehicles and Renewable Energies (EVER) (pp. 1–6). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Khalil, H., 2013. Nonlinear Systems. Pearson Education, Limited.Google Scholar
- Monteiro, V., Ferreira, J. C., Meléndez, A. A. N., & Afonso, J. L. (2013). Electric vehicles on-board battery charger for the future smart grids. In Doctoral Conference on Computing, Electrical and Industrial Systems. Springer, pp. 351–358.Google Scholar
- Rachid, A., El Fadil, H., Belhaj, F. Z., Gaouzi, K., & Giri, F. (2017). Lyapunov-based control of single-phase AC-DC power converter for BEV charger. In Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Electrical and Information Technologies (ICEIT’2017). Rabat, Morocco: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/EITech.2017.8255296.
- Rachid, A., El Fadil, H., Gaouzi, & K., Belhaj, F. Z. (2017). Output feedback control of bidirectional dc-dc power converter for BEV charger. In Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Automation, Control Engineering and Computer Science (ACECS), Proceedings Engineering and Technology (PET) (pp. 46–51). Tangier, Morocco: IPCO.Google Scholar
- Rachid, A., El Fadil, H., & Giri, F. (2018). Dual stage CC-CV charge method for controlling dc-dc power converter in BEV charger. In Proceeding of the 19th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference IEEE MELECON’18 (pp. 74–79). Marrakesh, Morocco: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Tahri, A., El Fadil, H., Giri, F., & Chaoui, F. -Z. (2016). nonlinear adaptive control of a hybrid fuel cell power system for electric vehicles—A Lyapunov stability based approach: Lyapunov based adaptive controller for electric vehicle hybrid power system. Asian Journal of Control, 18, 166–177. https://doi.org/10.1002/asjc.1231.MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tahri, A., El Fadil, H., Giri, F., & Chaoui, F. -Z. (2014). Nonlinear control and observation of a boost converter associated with a fuel-cell source in presence of model uncertainty. In Proceeding of the 19th IFAC World Congress, IFAC Proceedings Volumes (pp. 575–580). Cape Town, South Africa: Elsivier. https://doi.org/10.3182/20140824-6-ZA-1003.00537.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tahri, A., El Fadil, H., Guerrero, J. M., Giri, F., & Chaoui, F. Z. (2014). Modeling and nonlinear control of electric power stage in hybrid electric vehicle. In Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control (MSC) (pp. 641–646). Aalborg University, Denmark: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/CCA.2014.6981412.
- Verma, A. K., Singh, B., & Shahani, D. T. (2011). Grid to vehicle and vehicle to grid energy transfer using single-phase bidirectional AC-DC converter and bidirectional DC-DC converter. In 2011 International Conference on Energy, Automation, and Signal (ICEAS) (pp. 1–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Zeng, Z., Yang, H., Zhao, R., & Cheng, C. (2013). Topologies and control strategies of multi-functional grid-connected inverters for power quality enhancement: A comprehensive review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 24, 223–270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.033.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zgheib, R., Al-Haddad, K., & Kamwa, I. (2016). V2G, G2V and active filter operation of a bidirectional battery charger for electric vehicles (pp. 1260–1265). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIT.2016.7474935.