What Do We Understand by Extrusion in Ceramics?
The position of extrusion as a major method of shaping in ceramics is defined and evaluated. The process of extrusion in ceramics and the different types of extrusion units are classified focusing on extrusion by single-screw extruders. The different configurations of screw extruders, the main criteria for ceramic extrusion and the relevant components of an extrusion unit are outlined.
KeywordsCeramic extrusion Shaping methods Extrusion units Auger and barrel De-airing
- 1.R. Bartusch, Stand und Trends der Extrusionstechnik in der Technischen Keramik. Keramischer Zeitschrift 62, 340–344 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.W. Bender, Types of extrusion units, in Extrusion in Ceramics, ed. by F. Händle (Springer, Berlin, 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.W. Benderx, From Brick machine to high-tech extruder - 120 years of Händle extrusion technology, in ZI-Annual 2010 (1890–2010), pp. 2–48Google Scholar
- 4.F. Laenger, Evacuation in ceramic extrusion—dependencies and local situations, in Extrusion in Ceramics, ed. by F. Händle (Springer, Berlin, 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.C.O. Pels Leusden, The basics of shaping, in Brick and Tile Making, ed. by W. Bender, F. Händle (Bauverlag GmbH, Wiesbaden und Berlin, 1982)Google Scholar