A Data Reuse Method for Fast Search Motion Estimation
In motion estimation, the search regions of two adjacent current blocks have overlapping data. In view of this, the paper proposes a data reuse method for fast search motion estimation. The method reuses the overlapping data between the search areas of two adjacent blocks. The overlapping data are further divided into two parts, a definite data reuse area and a possible data reuse area. With this method, the memory access time of the algorithm is reduced, and the performance of the algorithm is further improved. And the proposed reuse method can effectively reduce the loading of redundant data. A typical fast search algorithm, diamond search, is used as a case study to verify the effectiveness of the method. The method is implemented on GPU platform. The experimental results show that the data reuse method can reduce the running time by 40%–60% compared with the algorithm of no use data reuse.
KeywordsMotion estimation Data reuse Diamond search CUDA
The work is supported by Primary Research & Development Plan of Shandong Province (2017GGX10112), and the Shandong Natural Science Foundation (No. ZR2015FQ009) and NNSF of China (No. 61520106005, No. 61602285, and No. 61602284).
- 1.Jiang, C., Nooshabadi, S.: GPU accelerated motion and disparity estimations for multiview coding. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 2106–2110. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Park, D., Jang, Y., Lee, J.: A new fast three step search motion estimation algorithm in H.264. In: 2007 International Forum on Strategic Technology, pp. 541–544 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Gaikwad, M.M.: Implementation of four step search algorithm of motion estimation using FPGA. Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Sci. Electron. Eng. 1(3), 68 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Ali, I., Raja, G., Muzammil, M., Khan, A.K.: Adaptive modified hexagon based search motion estimation algorithm. In: IEEE Fourth International Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp. 147–148. IEEE, Berlin (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Shim, H., Kang, K., Kyung, C.-M.: Search area selective reuse algorithm in motion estimation. In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 1611–1614 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Kim, T.S., SunWoo, M.H.: Data reusable search scan methods for low power motion estimation. J. Inst. Electron. Eng. Korea 50(9), 85–91 (2013)Google Scholar