Forward Secure Searchable Encryption Using Key-Based Blocks Chain Technique
Searchable Symmetric Encryption (SSE) has been widely applied in the encrypted database for exact queries or even range queries in practice. In spite of it has excellent efficiency and complete functionality, it always suffers from information leakages. Some recent attacks point out that forward privacy is the vital security goal. However, there are only several schemes achieving this security. In this paper, we propose a new flexible forward secure SSE scheme referred to as “FFSSE”, which has the best performance in literature, such as fast search operation, fast token generation and O(1) update complexity. It also supports both add and delete operations in the unique instance. Technically, we exploit a novel “key-based blocks chain” technique based on symmetric cryptographic primitive, which can be deployed in arbitrary index tree structures or key-value structures directly to guarantee forward privacy.
KeywordsSearchable encryption Keyword search Forward privacy Searchable Symmetric Encryption
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61672300), and National Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin (No. 16JCYBJC15500).
- 4.Cash, D., et al.: Dynamic searchable encryption in very-large databases: data structures and implementation. In: NDSS vol. 14, pp. 23–26 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Song, X.D., Wagner, D., Perrig, A.: Practical techniques for searches on encrypted data. In: S&P (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Demertzis, I., Papadopoulos, S., Papapetrou, O., Deligiannakis, A., Garofalakis, M.: Practical private range search revisited. In: SIGMOD, pp. 185–198 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Stefanov, E., Papamanthou, C., Shi, E.: Practical dynamic searchable encryption with small leakage. In: NDSS, pp. 23–26 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Curtmola, R., Garay, J., Kamara, S., Ostrovsky, R.: Searchable symmetric encryption: improved definitions and efficient constructions. CCS 19(5), 895–934 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, Y., Katz, J., Papamanthou, C.: All your queries are belong to us: the power of file-injection attacks on searchable encryption. In: USENIX Security (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Bost, R.: \(\Sigma o\phi o\varsigma -\)forward secure searchable encryption. In: CCS, pp. 1143–1154 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Garg, S., Mohassel, P., Papamanthou, C.: TWORAM: round-optimal oblivious RAM with applications to searchable encryption. Cryptology (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Kamara, S., Papamanthou, C., Roeder, T.: Dynamic searchable symmetric encryption. In: CCS, pp. 965–976 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Naveed, M., Prabhakaran, M., Gunter, C.A.: Dynamic searchable encryption via blind storage. In: S&P, pp. 639–654 (2014)Google Scholar