Large Eddy Simulation of Highly Compressible Jets with Tripped Boundary Layers
In high-speed aircraft, supersonic jets used for propulsion can lead to very intense aerodynamically generated acoustic noise. Thus, there is a need to study the aerodynamic and aeroacoustic properties of highly compressible jets. In previous studies (Gojon et al, Temperature effects on the aerodynamic and acoustic fields of a rectangular supersonic jet, 2017, , Gojon et al, On the response of a rectangular supersonic jet to a near-field located parallel flat plate, 2017, ), several simulations of supersonic jets have been conducted. Unfortunately, the turbulence intensity at the nozzle exit was dependent on the internal geometry of the nozzle and could not be tuned. This is a pity given that, as shown experimentally (Zaman, AIAA J, 50(8):1784–1795, 2012, ) and numerically (Bogey et al, J Fluid Mech, 701:352–385, 2012, , Brés et al, Nozzle wall modeling in unstructured large eddy simulations for hot supersonic jet predictions, 2013, ) for subsonic and supersonic jets, the boundary layer state of the jet affects the jet flow and noise.
The computations were performed using HPC resources provided by the Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing (SNIC) at the PDC center.
- 1.Gojon, R., Gutmark, E., Baier, F. Mihaescu, M.: Temperature effects on the aerodynamic and acoustic fields of a rectangular supersonic jet. AIAA Paper, no. 2017-0002 (2017). https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2017-0002
- 2.Gojon, R., Gutmark, E., Mihaescu, M.: On the response of a rectangular supersonic jet to a near-field located parallel flat plate. AIAA Paper, no. 2017-3018 (2017). https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2017-3018
- 5.Brés, G.A., Ham, F.E., Nichols, J.W., Lele, S.K.: Nozzle wall modeling in unstructured large eddy simulations for hot supersonic jet predictions, AIAA paper, no. 2013-2142 (2013). https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2013-2142
- 7.Eliasson, P.: EDGE: A Navier-Stokes solver for unstructured grids. FOI (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Vuillot, F., Lupoglazoff, N., Lorteau, M. Cléro, F.: Large eddy simulation of jet noise from unstructured grids with turbulent nozzle boundary layer. AIAA paper, no. 2016-3046 (2016). https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2016-3046