How Mark Frost’s Twin Peaks Books Clarify and Confound the Nature of Reality
- 194 Downloads
The Secret History of Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier are unique pieces of media, especially for tie-in fiction. They have unreliable narration, ambiguous reports, and ongoing commentary by the character of Tamara Preston. Both novels have unique aims. The narrative fluidity of The Secret History of Twin Peaks foreshadowed, and prepared the audience for, the fractured narrative of Twin Peaks: The Return, especially its eighth episode and final few episodes. The Final Dossier adds to Twin Peaks: The Return’s world, but shows how, no matter how large the narrative grows or how abstract it can become, the rape and murder of Laura Palmer is the driving force behind Twin Peaks, an event that cannot be escaped or forgotten.
- Coggan, Devin. 2016. ‘Mark Frost’s The Secret History of Twin Peaks: EW Review.’ Entertainment Weekly, 14 October. http://ew.com/article/2016/10/14/mark-frost-secret-history-twin-peaks-ew-review/. Accessed on 4 February 2018.
- Diaz, Eric. 2016. ‘Mark Frost’s The Secret History of Twin Peaks is a Damn Fine Book.’ The Nerdist, 3 November. https://nerdist.com/mark-frosts-the-secret-history-of-twin-peaks-is-a-damn-fine-book-review/. Accessed on 4 February 2018.
- Frost, Mark. 2016. The Secret History of Twin Peaks. New York: Flatiron Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. The Final Dossier. New York: Flatiron Books.Google Scholar
- Hazel, Andy, and Hayley Inch. 2017. ‘An Interview with Mark Frost.’ Twin Peaks: The Return Podcast, 4 July. https://soundcloud.com/user-301352257/an-interview-with-mark-frost. Accessed on 12 January 2017.
- Maher, John. 2017. ‘Four Questions (Plus One!) for … Mark Frost.’ Publisher’s Weekly, 5 September. https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/interviews/article/74499-four-questions-for-mark-frost.html. Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Miller, Laura. 2017. ‘Mark Frost’s The Secret History of Twin Peaks Shows Just How Bad Twin Peaks Would Be Without David Lynch.’ Slate, 5 April. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/05/mark_frost’s_the_secret_history_oftwin_peaks_shows_just_how_bad_twin_peaks.html. Accessed on 4 February 2018.
- Traynor, Cyan. 2017. ‘The Magic of Twin Peaks: TV’s Weirdest Legacy.’ Huck Magazine, 5 January. http://www.huckmagazine.com/art-and-culture/film-2/twin-peaks-return-final-dossier-mark-frost-david-lynch-interview/. Accessed on 10 January 2018.