The Pay Equity Dilemma Women Face Around the World
“Pay discrepancies are bad for business, and yet they are rife in finance” (Morgan 2018). There has been very recent social movements around the world, especially in service industries to question and reduce the gender pay gap. In this research, we examine the pay equity dilemma women face and how it is different in various regions of the world. Our research focuses on the cultural characteristics (such as power distance, individualism, uncertainty avoidance, and masculinity) and how a society’s norms affect pay inequality. We also go deeper in our discussions regarding the service industries. By better understanding the underlying reasons of pay inequality, changes can be made that will improve not only a business’s bottom-line, but also the quality of lives all around the world.
KeywordsGender gap Inequality National culture Services management
- 3.Brinded L. Its going to take 217 years to close the global economic gender gap. Quartz, 1 Nov 2017. https://www.qz.com/1117632/its-going-to-take-217-years-to-close-the-global-economic-gender-gap/.
- 4.Carnevale AP, et al. Women cant win: despite making educational gains and pursuing high-wage majors, women still earn less than men. 2018. repository.library.georgetown.edu. https://repository.library.georgetown.edu/handle/10822/1049530.
- 5.Chamberlain et al. New research: demystifying the gender pay gap. Glassdoor Econ Res 23 Mar 2016. https://www.glassdoor.com/research/demystifying-the-gender-pay-gap/.
- 6.Equal Times. The invisible risks facing working women in France. Equal Times. https://www.equaltimes.org/the-invisible-risks-facing-working. Accessed 26 Mar 2018.
- 7.Fortune. 3 reasons why the gender pay gap still exists. Fortune. http://fortune.com/2017/04/03/equal-pay-day-2017-wage-gap/. Accessed 19 Mar 2018.
- 8.MoveHub. Global gender pay gap map|percentage pay gap for men and women. https://www.movehub.com/blog/global-gender-pay-gap-map/. 6 Mar 2014.
- 10.Hofstede Insights. Country comparison. https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country-comparison. Accessed 11 Mar 2018.
- 11.Miller CC. Children hurt womens earnings, but not mens (even in Scandinavia). The New York Times. NYTimes.com, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/upshot/even-in-family-friendly-scandinavia-mothers-are-paid-less.html. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- 12.Morgan N. Finance has a shocking gender pay gap. Shining a light on it is just the start. The Guardian, Thu 8 Mar 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/08/finance-gender-pay-gap-inquiry-nicky-morgan. Last accessed on 31 Oct 2018.
- 13.Sankar C. Why dont more women negotiate? Forbes, https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/07/13/why-dont-more-women-negotiate/. Accessed 19 Mar 2018.
- 14.Women in the Workplace Study. Getting to gender equality starts with realizing how far we have to go. https://womenintheworkplace.com/. Accessed 7 Apr 2018.