Capacitive Nondestructive Evaluation of Aged Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLPE) Cable Insulation Material
Cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) is used widely as insulation material in low-voltage instrumentation cables deployed in nuclear power plants (NPPs). Suffering from degradation due to exposure to heat and radiation, the insulating properties of the material gradually degrade, which may imperil the safe operation of NPPs. In this paper, a new capacitive sensing method is introduced for nondestructive evaluation of aged instrumentation cable with XLPE insulation. The capacitive sensor is capable of measuring capacitance of cable materials and may potentially be employed to extract the dielectric properties of insulation material from those of the entire cable. Interdigital capacitive sensor designs are targeted that maximize sensitivity to changes in the dielectric values of the cable polymers.
KeywordsCapacitive sensor Nondestructive evaluation Nuclear cable Polymer degradation
This work was funded by the United States Department of Energy under contract number DE-NE0008269.
- 1.N. Bowler, S.S. Liu, Int. J. Prognostics Health Manage., 6, 1–12 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.J.V. Gasa, Z. Liu, M.T. Shaw, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 87(1), 77–85 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.C. Desai, K. Brown, M. Desmulliez, A. Sutherland, in 2008 Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, pp. 17–20, 2008Google Scholar
- 4.I.Y. Kim, C.S. Goo, J.H. Lee, B.S. Jin, M.K. Kang, Y.D. Shin, in 2012 International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application (ICHVE) (2012), pp. 68–71Google Scholar
- 5.C. Furse, Y.C. Chung, R. Dangol, M. Nielsen, G. Mabey, R. Woodward, IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility 45(2), 306–315 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.E.M. Arvia, R.T. Sheldon, N. Bowler, in Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2014, Annual Report Conference on, pp. 514–517 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.R.T. Sheldon, N. Bowler, IEEE Sens. J. 14(4), 961–970 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.World Wide Web, www.r-scc.com/catalog?indID=6. Accessed 1 April 2017
- 10.World Wide Web, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene. Accessed 1 April 2017