Populism and Contemporary Global Media: Populist Communication Logics and the Co-construction of Transnational Identities
The study of populism has often focused on specific leaders or movements within nation-states. Such accounts approach the media as a dissemination tool of these ‘populist actors’, rather than as a producer of populism in itself. However, the ongoing development of new media technologies makes such an approach untenable. With populism understood as a particular set of communication logics in which core appeals are articulated, the contemporary global media environment has fundamentally altered the processes by which such appeals evolve, including the range of voices that contribute to that evolution. Where empirically-observable populism was once predominantly a national phenomenon, this is decreasingly the case. On- and offline transnational collaboration is becoming increasingly common, together with the emergence of genuinely international movements. This chapter updates discussions of populism and the media, by offering an empirically-grounded discussion of how new media technologies facilitate transnational co-production and dissemination of populist appeals amongst both core and peripheral audiences. Our discussions of legacy media developments, online grassroots campaigning and state-funded international broadcasting show how media actors themselves (including particular platforms) contribute to the production of populist messages and identities, especially because new media logics closely correspond to the needs of populist communication.
KeywordsPopulism Global media Clickbait News Populist communication logics Social media
- Allan, S. 2013. Citizen Witnessing: Revisioning Journalism in Times of Crisis, 1st ed. Cambridge, MA: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Barthel, M. 2017. Despite Subscription Surges for Largest U.S. Newspapers, Circulation and Revenue Fall for Industry Overall. Pew Research Center, June 1. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/01/circulation-and-revenue-fall-for-newspaper-industry/.
- Bartlett, J., J. Birdwell, and M. Littler. 2011. The New Face of Digital Populism. London: Demos.Google Scholar
- Baggini, Julian. 2016. Jeremy Corbyn Is a Great Populist: But That’s No Good for Our Democracy. The Guardian, July 25. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/25/jeremy-corbyn-populist-democracy-mps.
- BBC. 2018. John McDonnell Urges Labour MPs to Stop Appearing on Russia Today, March 11. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43363165.
- Dowling, T. 2017. 24-hour Putin People: My Week Watching Kremlin ‘Propaganda Channel’ RT. The Guardian, November 29. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/nov/29/24-hour-putin-people-my-week-watching-kremlin-propaganda-channel-rt-russia-today.
- Economist. 2010. Western State-Backed News Outfits Are Struggling to Keep Their Influence. The Economist, August 12. https://www.economist.com/news/international/16791638-western-state-backed-news-outfits-are-struggling-keep-their-influence-developing.
- Galeotti, M. 2017. Russia’s Meddling Gets More Credit Than It Deserves. New Eastern Europe, July 31. http://neweasterneurope.eu/interviews/2446-russia-s-meddling-in-western-politics-gets-more-credit-than-it-deserves.
- Gidron, N., and B. Bonikowski. 2013. Varieties of Populism: Literature Review and Research Agenda. Weatherhead Working Paper Series, No. 13-0004. https://scholar.harvard.edu/gidron/publications/varieties-populism-literature-review-and-research-agenda.
- Helmus, Todd C., Elizabeth Bodine-Baron, et al. 2018. Russian Social Media Influence: Understanding Russian Propaganda in Eastern Europe. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2237.html. Google Scholar
- Hunston, S. 2017. Donald Trump and the Language of Populism. University of Birmingham. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/donald-trump-language-of-populism.aspx. Accessed 25 July 2018.
- Indy100. 2018a. Trump Keeps Complaining About How Much the Russia Investigation is Costing. His Mar-a-Lago Trips Have Cost More. Indy100, May. https://www.indy100.com/article/trump-russia-investigation-costs-robert-mueller-holiday-golfing-holiday-8381141.
- Indy100. 2018b. Veteran Group Condemns Trump for ‘Inappropriate’ Memorial Day Tweet. Indy100, May 2015. https://www.indy100.com/article/veteran-group-condemns-trump-for-inappropriate-memorial-day-tweet-8373741.
- Indy100. 2018c. People Have Noticed Something Worrying About Trump’s ‘Tamed a Continent’ Speech. Indy100, May 2015. https://www.indy100.com/article/donald-trump-us-president-ancestors-native-americans-speech-tamed-continent-8371421.
- Indy100. 2018d. 8 of the Biggest Conspiracy Theories That Trump Has Shared. Indy100, May 2015. https://www.indy100.com/article/donald-trump-us-president-conspiracy-theories-spygate-barack-obama-ted-cruz-8369426.
- Indy100. 2018e. A Reality TV Star Met Kim Kardashian at the White House and It Became a Meme. Indy100, May 31. https://www.indy100.com/article/kim-kardashian-trump-white-house-memes-pardon-prison-reform-8376886.
- Indy100. 2018f. People Are Convinced Kim Jong-un’s Giant Letter to Trump was a Joke About His ‘Tiny Hands’. Indy100. https://www.indy100.com/article/people-are-convinced-kim-jong-uns-giant-letter-to-trump-was-a-joke-about-his-tiny-hands-8381116.
- Inglehart, Ronald, and Pippa Norris. 2016. Trump, Brexit, and the Rise of Populism: Economic Have-Nots and Cultural Backlash, July 29. HKS Working Paper No. RWP16-026. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2818659.
- Krasniak, M. 2017. How Bloggers Monetize: New Research, Social Media Examiner, October 12. https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-bloggers-monetize-new-research/.
- Laclau, E. 2005. On Populist Reason. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Lynch, M., D. Freelon, and S. Aday. 2014. Syria’s Socially Mediated Civil War, January 13. http://www.usip.org/publications/syria-s-socially-mediated-civil-war.
- Makhortykh, M. 2017. Remediating the Past: YouTube and Second World War Memory in Ukraine and Russia. Memory Studies, Online First, September 13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1750698017730867.
- Mazzoleni, G. 2003. The Media and the Growth of Neo-Populism in Contemporary Democracies. In The Media and Neo-Populism: A Contemporary Comparative Analysis, ed. G. Mazzoleni, J. Stewart, and B. Horsfield, 1–20. Westport: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Mazzoleni, G., J. Stewart, and B. Horsfield. 2003. The Media and Neo-Populism: A Contemporary Comparative Analysis. Westport: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Mouffe, Chantal. 2018. Jeremy Corbyn’s Left Populism. Verso, April 16. https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/3743-jeremy-corbyn-s-left-populism.
- National Coalition of Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces. 2015. Fact Sheet: Mission of the Syrian Coalition. http://en.etilaf.org/about-us/fact-sheet.html.
- Nielsen, J. 2006. F-shaped Pattern for Reading Web Content (Original Study). Nielsen Norman Group, April 17. https://www.nngroup.com/articles/f-shaped-pattern-reading-web-content-discovered/.
- Papacharissi, Z. 2018. Comparative Media Studies for Today’s World. Keynote. Saint Petersburg State University, April 17–18.Google Scholar
- Ponsford, D. 2017. Mail Online Hit New Traffic Record in January with 15.6 m Daily and 243 m Monthly Browsers. Press Gazette, February 16. http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/mail-online-hit-new-traffic-record-in-january-with-15-2m-daily-and-243m-monthly-browsers/.
- RT. 2017. YouTube Home Page. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpwvZwUam-URkxB7g4USKpg.
- RT. (n.d.). About RT. https://www.rt.com/about-us/. Accessed 21 Nov 2018.
- Sweney, Mark. 2018. Russian Broadcaster RT Could Be Forced Off UK Airwaves. The Guardian, March 13. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/13/russian-broadcaster-rt-hits-back-at-threat-to-uk-licence.
- Taggart, Paul. 2000. Populism. Buckingham: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Tipaldou, S., and P. Casula. 2018. ¿Justificaciones populistas de la guerra? La intervención rusa en el este de Ucrania (Populist Justifications of War? Insights from Russia’s Intervention in Eastern Ukraine). Revista CIDOB d’Afers Internacionals, 119 (September).Google Scholar
- Tryhorn, C. 2013. BBC Is in a ‘Soft Power’ Battle with International Broadcasters. The Guardian Media Blog, November 13. https://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2013/nov/13/bbc-broadcasters-tony-hall-worldwide-audience-cctv-al-jazeera.
- Van Kessel, S., and R. Castelein. 2016. Shifting the Blame: Populist Politicians’ Use of Twitter as a Tool of Opposition. Journal of Contemporary European Research 12 (2): 594–613.Google Scholar
- Windren, Robert. 2017. Guess Who Came to Dinner with Flynn and Putin. NBC News, April 18. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/guess-who-came-dinner-flynn-putin-n742696.