Confidence in Leadership
This chapter examines responses to items in the Church Times surveys related to the level of confidence in local clergy and diocesan bishops, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishops’ Council and the General Synod. The controversies that preoccupied the Church of England at the start of the century added pressures to those who led or represented the Church at national level, making the process of change fraught with pain and divisions. The chapter first outlines briefly how governance works in the Church before exploring how confidence varied between local and national leaders, and between individuals and institutions. The levels of confidence are compared to levels of trust in other professions in the UK, and reasons for differences between groups within the Church and between the two surveys at discussed. The chapter ends with a discussion of how confidence in the leadership of the Church of England might be fostered in the years ahead.
- Archbishop of Canterbury and Archbishop of York. (2001). Resourcing bishops: The first report of the Archbishops’ Review Group on bishops’ needs and resources. London: Church House Publishing.Google Scholar
- Atherstone, A. (2013). Archbishop Justin Welby: The road to Canterbury. London: Darton, Longman and Todd.Google Scholar
- Atherstone, A. (2014). Archbishop Justin Welby: Risk-taker and reconciler. London: Darton Longman & Todd.Google Scholar
- Bennister, M., ‘t Hart, P., & Worthy, B. (2017). Understanding political leadership: The leadership capital approach. In M. Bennister, P. ‘t Hart, & B. Worthy (Eds.), The leadership capital index (pp. 1–26). Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oso/9780198783848.003.0001.
- Briden, T. (2013). Moore’s introduction to English Canon Law (4th ed.). London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Buchanan, C. (2015). Church Assembly. In C. Buchanan (Ed.), Historical dictionary of Anglicanism (p. 151). Lanham, MD: Rowan & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Chapman, M. D. (2013). Does the Church of England have a theology of general synod? Journal of Anglican Studies, 11(1), 15–31. https://doi.org/10.1017/s1740355312000368.
- Church of England. (2018). Archbishops’ Council. Retrieved July 3, 2018, from https://www.churchofengland.org/about/leadership-and-governance/archbishops-council#na.
- Davies, L. (2012, November 21). Church in crisis as it turns its back on women bishops. The Guardian, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Editorial. (2007, March 2). Synod airs hope and fear on clergy terms. Church Times, p. 28.Google Scholar
- Fowl, S. E. (1998). Engaging scripture. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Goddard, A. (2013). Rowan Williams: His legacy. Oxford: Lion.Google Scholar
- Grundy, M. (2011). Leadership and oversight: New models of episcopal leadership. London and New York: Mowbray.Google Scholar
- Ipsos MORI. (2017). Trust in professions: Long-term trends. Retrieved July 5, 2018, from https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/trust-professions-long-term-trends.
- Johnson, L. T. (1996). Scripture and discernment. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press.Google Scholar
- Moore, C. (2013, July 12). Archbishop Justin Welby: ‘I was embarrassed—It was like getting measles’. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10176190/Archbishop-Justin-Welby-I-was-embarrassed.-It-was-like-getting-measles.html.
- Podmore, C. (2009). The governance of the Church of England and the Anglican Communion. London: General Synod.Google Scholar
- Sherwood, H. (2017, February 15). Church of England in turmoil as synod rejects report on same-sex relationships. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/15/church-of-england-in-turmoil-as-synod-rejects-report-on-same-sex-relationships.
- Shortt, R. (2014). Rowan’s rule: The biography of the Archbishop. London: Hodder & Stoughton.Google Scholar
- Village, A., & Muskett, J. A. (2018). Knowing their people and being known by them: A changing episcopal role within Accompanied Ministry Development in the Diocese of Truro. Ecclesial Practices (in press).Google Scholar
- Williams, R. (n.d.). Roles and priorities. Retrieved July 4, 2018, from http://aoc2013.brix.fatbeehive.com/pages/roles-and-priorities.html.
- Wright, W. C. (2000). Relational leadership. Milton Keynes: Paternoster.Google Scholar