On the Use of Projects in Simulation Courses
Simulation provides a valuable means to design and improve a wide variety of operations systems. Most industrial engineering and management science curricula require at least one course on simulation. Since simulation is meant to be applied, these courses typically include student projects to complement the discussion of simulation methodologies and an introduction to simulation technologies, i.e., modeling and analysis software. In order to be effective, simulation projects must carefully be integrated with the coverage of methodologies and technologies. This chapter provides guidance on how to effectively design and manage simulation course projects, both from the educator’s and student’s perspectives.
KeywordsProjects Simulation Teaching Pedagogy
Support for this research has been provided by the Faculty of Engineering Management, Poznan University of Technology.
- 1.Beaverstock, M., Greenwood, A., Nordgren, W.: Applied Simulation Modeling and Analysis Using FlexSim, 5th edn. FlexSim Software Products, Inc. (2017). ISBN 978-0-9832319-6-7Google Scholar
- 2.Duncan, W.R.: The process of project management. J. Proj. Manag. 24(3), 5–10 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Egilmez, G.: https://gokhanegilmez.wordpress.com/category/academic-blog/, 18 Jan 2018
- 4.Friedman, D.: Program vs. project management. http://www.proj-mgt.com/PMC_Program_vs_Project.htm, 14 Jan 2018
- 5.Greenwood, A.: Striving for ubiquity of simulation in operations through educational enhancements. In: Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 4252–4263 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Mesquita, M, Mariz, F., Tomotani, J.: The skateboard factory: a teaching case on discrete-event simulation. Production 27(spe), e20162262 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0103-6513.226216
- 7.Muldoon, J.: PMBOK summarized (2014). http://johnmuldoon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/PMBOK-Summarized.pdf, 14 Jan 2018
- 8.Project Management Institute: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide), 5th edn. Project Management Institute, Inc. (2013). ISBN 978-1-935589-67-9Google Scholar
- 9.Project Management Institute. https://www.pmi.org/about/learn-about-pmi/what-is-project-management, 17 Jan 2018