Healthcare Analytics Applications
A detailed logistic progression application to illustrate regression analysis
Three applications covering decision trees, Naïve Bayes, and natural language processing, to illustrate classification techniques
Two applications using K-means and hierarchical clustering to illustrate clustering techniques
One dimensionality reduction application to illustrate dimension reduction techniques
Finally, one application illustrates the nascent prescriptive analytics. At the end of the chapter, a set of statistical tools is provided.
KeywordsReport Pivot table Hospital readmission LACE index Chart review Natural language processing (NLP) K-means Cluster analysis Rehabilitation service Principle component analysis (PCA) Chronic pain
- 1.H. A. Simon, Administrative Behavior, 4th Edition. Free Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.L. C. Jain and C. P. Lim, “Advances in Intelligent Decision Making,” in Handbook on Decision Making: Vol 1: Techniques and Applications, vol. 1, C. P. Lim, Ed.: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010.Google Scholar
- 3.G. A. Forgionne, “Decision-Making Support System Effectiveness: the Process to Outcome Link %J Inf. Knowl. Syst. Manag,” vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 169-188, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.Canada Health Infoway, “Year In Review 2016-2017,” Canada Health Infoway, Toronto Jul 28, 2017 2017, Available: https://www.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/component/edocman/resources/i-infoway-i-corporate/annual-reports/3350-annual-report-2016-2017.
- 6.C. van Walraven et al., “Derivation and validation of an index to predict early death or unplanned readmission after discharge from hospital to the community,” (in eng), Cmaj, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 551–7, Apr 6 2010.Google Scholar
- 7.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2014, July 22). Readmission Reduction Program. Available: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/Readmissions-Reduction-Program.html Accessed: 2017-01-31. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/6nw9fZ955
- 8.(2013). Health Indicators 2013: Definitions, Data Sources and Rationale. Available: https://www.cihi.ca/en/ind_defin_2013_en.pdf
- 9.Canadian Institute for Health Information, “All-Cause Readmission to Acute Care and Return to the Emergency Department,” CIHI, Ottawa, ON2012, Available: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/Readmission_to_acutecare_en.pdf.
- 11.C. H. Yam et al., “Avoidable readmission in Hong Kong--system, clinician, patient or social factor?,” (in eng), BMC Health Serv Res, vol. 10, p. 311, Nov 17 2010.Google Scholar
- 12.The Canadian Medical Protective Association. (2014). Reducing unplanned hospital readmissions. Available: https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/en/duties-and-responsibilities/-/asset_publisher/bFaUiyQG069N/content/reducing-unplanned-hospital-readmissions. Accessed: 2017-01-31. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/6nw8r6sQz
- 15.QIO. (2016, Aug. 17). Online LACE index Tool. Available: http://qio.ipro.org/care-transitions/healthcare-professionals/past-events/united-healthnd-ac-servicesbinghamton-lace-tool-for-assessment-of-risk-for-read. Accessed: 2017-02-11. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/6oCSHhyRK
- 16.A. Gruneir et al., “Unplanned readmissions after hospital discharge among patients identified as being at high risk for readmission using a validated predictive algorithm,” Open Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. e104-e111, 2011.Google Scholar
- 17.A. S. Mixon et al., “Preparedness for hospital discharge and prediction of readmission,” (in Eng), J Hosp Med, Feb 29 2016.Google Scholar
- 19.IS Scotland. Scottish patients at risk of readmission (SPARRA). (2017). SPARRA Model. Available: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Health-and-Social-Community-Care/SPARRA/SPARRA-Model/ Accessed: 2017-01-30. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/6nuA2VRlf
- 21.H. Kaur et al., “Automated chart review utilizing natural language processing algorithm for asthma predictive index,” (in eng), BMC Pulm Med, vol. 18, no. 1, p. 34, Feb 13 2018.Google Scholar
- 22.J. J. Armstrong, M. Zhu, J. P. Hirdes, and P. Stolee, “K-means cluster analysis of rehabilitation service users in the Home Health Care System of Ontario: examining the heterogeneity of a complex geriatric population,” (in eng), Arch Phys Med Rehabil, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 2198–205, Dec 2012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.D. Keszthelyi et al., “Delineation between different components of chronic pain using dimension reduction - an ASL fMRI study in hand osteoarthritis,” (in eng), Eur J Pain, Mar 9 2018.Google Scholar