Emerging Vertical Nanostructures for High-Performance Supercapacitor Applications
- 501 Downloads
The foremost challenge in energy crisis management is to meet the ever-rising demand for the seamless supply of energy to the technology-driven twenty-first century. The rising depletion of fossil fuels and environmental pollution impose an immediate need for green energy. This stimulated the fabrication of energy storage devices necessary for hybrid electric vehicles, portable electronics, and power grid systems. Supercapacitor is an important energy storage device for electric vehicle and portable electronics. However, architecting the electrode materials with suitable geometry is one of the major hurdles toward the development of energy storage devices with high-energy densities. In view of this, the current chapter focuses on the fabrication of binder-free emerging vertical nanostructures for the application as active supercapacitor electrodes. This chapter emphasizes the importance of vertical nano-architectures and critical points toward the rational design of supercapacitor electrodes. A broad overview on the recent developments of vertical nano-architectures for supercapacitor electrode applications and the future directions in achieving efficient supercapacitor devices are highlighted.
KeywordsVertical nanostructure Supercapacitor Carbon materials 2D materials Metal oxides/hydroxides Conducting polymers
Subrata Ghosh acknowledges financial support from Basic Science Research Program (2017R1D1A1B03028311) of the National Research Foundation of Korea. We are thankful to the anonymous reviewers for valuable suggestion and researchers for their significant contribution in the energy storage research.
- Al-Asadi AS, Henley LA, Wasala M, Muchharla B, Perea-Lopez N, Carozo V, Lin Z, Terrones M, Mondal K, Kordas K (2017) Aligned carbon nanotube/zinc oxide nanowire hybrids as high performance electrodes for supercapacitor applications. J Appl Phys 121:124303. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4979098 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fedorovskaya EO, Bulusheva LG, Kurenya AG, Asanov IP, Rudina NA, Funtov KO, Lyubutin IS, Okotrub AV (2014) Supercapacitor performance of vertically aligned multiwall carbon nanotubes produced by aerosol-assisted CCVD method. Electrochim Acta 139:165–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2014.06.176 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gund GS, Dubal DP, Chodankar NR, Cho JY, Gomez-Romero P, Park C, Lokhande CD (2015) Low-cost flexible supercapacitors with high-energy density based on nanostructured MnO2 and Fe2O3 thin films directly fabricated onto stainless steel. Sci Rep 5:12454. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep12454 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lé T, Aradilla D, Bidan G, Billon F, Delaunay M, Gérard JM, Perrot H, Sel O (2018) Unveiling the ionic exchange mechanisms in vertically-oriented graphene nanosheet supercapacitor electrodes with electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance and ac-electrogravimetry. Electrochem Commun 93:5–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elecom.2018.05.024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Malik R, Zhang L, McConnell C, Schott M, Hsieh Y-Y, Noga R, Alvarez NT, Shanov V (2017) Three-dimensional, free-standing polyaniline/carbon nanotube composite-based electrode for high-performance supercapacitors. Carbon 116:579–590. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2017.02.036 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miller J (2007) A brief history of supercapacitors, Battery+ Energy Storage Technology, 61. https://www.scribd.com/document/125843845/A-Brief-History-of-Supercapacitors
- Ouldhamadouche N, Achour A, Lucio-Porto R, Islam M, Solaymani S, Arman A, Ahmadpourian A, Achour H, Le Brizoual L, Djouadi MA, Brousse T (2017) Electrodes based on nano-tree-like vanadium nitride and carbon nanotubes for micro-supercapacitors. J Mater Sci Technol 34:976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2017.11.048 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Samantara AK, Kamila S, Ghosh A, Jena BK (2018) Highly ordered 1D NiCo2O4 nanorods on graphene: an efficient dual-functional hybrid materials for electrochemical energy conversion and storage applications. Electrochim Acta 263:147–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2018.01.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Q, Wang X, Pan Z, Sun J, Zhao J, Zhang J, Zhang C, Tang L, Luo J, Song B, Zhang Z, Lu W, Li Q, Zhang Y, Yao Y (2017b) Wrapping aligned carbon nanotube composite sheets around vanadium nitride nanowire arrays for asymmetric coaxial fiber-shaped supercapacitors with ultrahigh energy density. Nano Lett 17:2719–2226. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b00854 CrossRefGoogle Scholar