The Role of Leaders: The Importance of Leadership
Analysing leadership is more like looking through the lens of a kaleidoscope rather than that of a microscope because with each turn it changes shape and colour and hue. And as leadership theory evolves, it embraces an ever-increasing range of concepts from behavioural to attitudinal, from social-cognitive to contingency, from social exchange to team. There is no shortage of material for those wishing to understand leaders, leadership, and organisational performance; but those seeking best practice will come away from the subject with conditions, sub-clauses and riders. It is important for the leader in any organisation to be clear about the expectations of the position they hold, expectations on the part of the organisation, and expectations on the part of the followers. They will need to understand their own strengths and weaknesses against these expectations and what they need to do to achieve the objectives in their specific organisational context. One way to gain an understanding of the answers to these questions is by personal reflection and insight. The leader of the future is a person with a high level of emotional intelligence who understands their capabilities. Leaders will also need credibility to enable followers to trust and accept the decisions of those in leadership positions and to act accordingly. And finally, leaders know their way around organisational dynamics to ensure that these decisions are successfully implemented.
KeywordsLeadership Management Transformation Charismatic Devolved
- Aga, D. A. (2016). Transactional Leadership and Project Success: The Moderating Role of Goal Clarity. Procedia Computer Science, 100 (International Conference on ENTERprise Information Systems/International Conference on Project MANagement/International Conference on Health and Social Care Information Systems and Technologies, CENTERIS/ProjMAN/HCist 2016), 517–525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2016.09.190.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alimo-Metcalfe, B., & Alban-Metcalfe, J. (2003, March 16). Under the Influence. People Management, 9, 32–35.Google Scholar
- Baltaci, F., Kavacik, M., Şentürk, F. K., & Kurare, I. (2014). The Effect of Leadership Behaviors on Job Satisfaction: A Research on Four and Five Stars Hotels Employees in Alanya. Abant Izzet Baysal University Journal of Social Sciences/Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 14(2), 59. ISSN:1303-0035.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1993). Transformational Leadership and Organisational Culture. Public Administration Quarterly, 1(17), 112–121.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Bass, R. (2008). The Bass Handbook of Leadership: Theory, Research, and Managerial Applications (4th ed.). New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Riggio, R. E. (2006). The Transformational Model of Leadership. In G. R. Hickman (Ed.) (2010). Leading Organisations-Perspectives for a New Era. London: Sage Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Bawany, S. (2016). Leading in A VUCA Business Environment. Leadership Excellence Essentials, 33(7), 39–40.Google Scholar
- Bennis, W. (1989). On Becoming a Leader. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- Bennis, W. (2001). The New Leadership. In S. Crainer & D. Dearlove (Eds.), Financial Times Handbook of Management (2nd ed.). London: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- Collins, J. (2001). Good to Great. New York: Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A. (2004). Developing Leadership Capability: What’s Inside the Black Box? The Academy of Management Executive (1993–2005) [Serial Online], 18(3), 136.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A. (2008). In G. R. Hickman (Ed.) (2010). Leading Organisations – Perspectives for a New Era. London: Sage Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A., & Kanungo, R. N. (1998). Charismatic Leadership in Organisations. London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Edger, C. (2012). Effective Multi-Unit Leadership: Local Leadership in Multi-Site Situations. Farnham: Gower Applied Research Press.Google Scholar
- Ellis, P., & Bach, S. (2015). Leadership, Management and Team Working. London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Galagan, P. A. (1998). Peter Drucker. Training & Development, 52(9), 22–29. ISSN:1055-9760.Google Scholar
- Ghate, D., Lewis, J., & Welbourn, D. (2013). Systems Leadership: Exceptional Leadership for Exceptional Times Synthesis Paper. ADCS Virtual Staff College. Retrieved from https://www.scie-socialcareonline.org.uk/systems-leadership-exceptional-leadership-for-exceptional-times-synthesis-paper/r/a11G000000537cDIAQ.
- Goffee, R., & Jones, G. (2006). Why Should Anyone Be Led By You. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Goleman, D. (1996). Emotional Intelligence. New York: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Goleman, D. (1998). Working with Emotional Intelligence. New York: Bantam Books.Google Scholar
- Greenleaf, R. K. (1977). Servant Leadership. In G. R. Hickman (Ed.) (2010). Leading Organisations – Perspectives for a New Era. London: Sage Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Hickman, G. R. (Ed.). (2010). Leading Organisations, Perspectives for a New Era. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Horney, N., Pasmore, B., & O’shea, T. (2010). Leadership Agility: A Business Imperative for a Vuca World. People & Strategy, 31, 32–38.Google Scholar
- Irving, J. A., & Berndt, J. (2017). Leader Purposefulness Within Servant Leadership: Examining the Effect of Servant Leadership, Leader Follower-Focus, Leader Goal-Orientation, and Leader Purposefulness in a Large U.S. Healthcare Organization. Administrative Sciences, 7(2), 10. ISSN:(2076-3387), 2076-3387.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jha, S., & Bhattacharyya, S. (2017). Development of a Firm Level Strategic Shared Leadership Scale. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 52(3), 499–515. ISSN:0019-5286.Google Scholar
- Kotter, J. (1990). A Force for Change: How Leadership Differs from Management. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Kouzes, J. M., & Posner, B. Z. (2007). The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.Google Scholar
- Li, J., Furst-Holloway, S., Gales, L., Masterson, S. S., & Blume, B. D. (2017). Not All Transformational Leadership Behaviors Are Equal: The Impact of Followers’ Identification with Leader and Modernity on Taking Charge. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 24(3), 318–334.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mintzberg, H. (2011). Managing. London: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- NHS Education for Scotland. (2016). Systems Thinking and Systems Leadership. Retrieved from http://www.central.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/Leadership/systems.html.
- NHS England. (2014). Five Year Forward View. Retrieved from https://www.england.nhs.uk/five-year-forward-view.
- NHS England. (2017). Next Steps on the NHS Five Year Forward View. Retrieved from https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/next-steps-on-the-nhs-five-year-forward-view.
- NHS Improvement. (2016). Developing People; Improving Care. Retrieved from https://improvement.nhs.uk/resources/developing-people-improving-care.
- Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership, Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc.Google Scholar
- Raj, R., & Srivastava, K. B. L. (2016). Transformational Leadership and Innovativeness: The Mediating Role of Organizational Learning. Journal of Management Research, 16(4), 201–219. ISSN:0972-5814.Google Scholar
- Sarto, F., & Veronesi, G. (2016). Clinical Leadership and Hospital Performance: Assessing the Evidence Base. BMC Health Services Research, 16, 85–97. ISSN:1472-6963.Google Scholar
- Senge, P. (2006). The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organisation (2nd ed.). London: Random House Business Books.Google Scholar
- Suk, Bong Choi, Kihwan Kim, & Seung-Wan Kang. (2017). Effects of Transformational and Shared Leadership Styles on Employees’ Perception of Team Effectiveness. Social Behavior & Personality: An International Journal, 45(3), 377–386. ISSN:0301-2212, 2017-0301.Google Scholar
- Sun, J., Chen, X., & Zhang, S. (2017). A Review of Research Evidence on the Antecedents of Transformational Leadership. Education Sciences, 7, 15. ISSN:2017-0101.Google Scholar
- The King’s Fund. (2011). The Future of Leadership and Management in the NHS: No More Heroes. Retrieved from https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2011/05/no-more-heroes-lesson-our-future-leaders.
- Timmins, N. (2015). The Practice of System Leadership: Being Comfortable with Chaos. The Kings Fund. Retrieved from https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/practice-system-leadership.
- West, M., Eckert, R., Steward, K., & Pasmore, B. (2014). Developing Collective Leadership for Health Care. The Kings Fund. Retrieved from https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/developing-collective-leadership-health-care.
- Yukl, G. (2010). Leadership in Organisations. London: Pearson.Google Scholar