Green Liner Shipping Network Design refers to the problems in green logistics related to the design of maritime services in liner shipping with a focus on reducing the environmental impact. This chapter discusses how to more efficiently plan the vessel services with the use of mathematical optimization models. A brief introduction to the main characteristics of Liner Shipping Network Design is given, as well as the different variants and assumptions that can be considered when defining this problem. The chapter also includes an overview of the algorithms and approaches that have been presented in the literature to design such networks.
- Ahuja, R. K., Magnanti, T. L., & Orlin, J. B. (1993). Network flows: Theory, algorithms, and applications. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Brouer, B. D., Karsten, C. V., & Pisinger, D. (2016). Big data optimization in maritime logistics. In A. Emrouznejad (Ed.), Big data optimization: Recent developments and challenges (Studies in big data, Vol. 18, pp. 319–344). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Dithmer, P., Reinhardt, L. B., & Kontovas, C. A. (2017). The liner shipping routing and scheduling problem under environmental considerations: The case of emissions control areas. In International Conference on Computational Logistics (pp. 336–350). Springer.Google Scholar
- Germanischer Lloyd. (2013). http://www.balkanlloyd.com/news/96-germanischer-lloyd-has-conducted-research-showing-that-new-and-efficient-4-500-teu-panamax. [Online; Accessed 20 Feb 2017].
- Hansen, P., & Mladenovic, N. (2014). Variable neighborhood search. In E. K. Burke & G. Kendall (Eds.), Search methodologies – Introductory tutorials in optimization and decision support techniques (pp. 313–337). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- IMO. (2014). Third imo greenhouse gas study 2014. Technical report, International Maritime Organization.Google Scholar
- Karsten, C. V. (2015). Competitive liner shipping network design.Ph. D. Thesis, DTU Management Engineering.Google Scholar
- Maersk. (2017). The world’s largest ship. https://www.maersk.com/en/explore/fleet/triple-e/environment
- Psaraftis, H. N., & Kontovas, C. A. (2015). Slow steaming in maritime transportation: Fundamentals, trade-offs, and decision models. In C.-Y. Lee & Q. Meng (Eds.), Handbook of ocean container transport logistics: Making global supply chains effective (pp. 315–358). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Stopford, M. (2009). Maritime economics (3rd ed.). London: Taylor & Francis Ltd. ISBN:9780415275583.Google Scholar
- Toth, P., & Vigo, D. (2015). Vehicle routing: Problems, methods and applications (Vol. 18). Philadelphia: SIAM.Google Scholar
- Unctad. (2017a). Review of maritime transport. Technical report, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.Google Scholar
- Unctad. (2017b). UnctadSTAT. http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/TableViewer/tableView.aspx. [Online; Accessed 9 Feb 2017].