Green Tramp Shipping Routing and Scheduling: Effects of Market-Based Measures on CO2 Reduction
In this chapter we examine, from a tramp ship operator’s point of view, how potential CO2 emission reduction measures impact the operational decisions and their economic and environmental consequences. Two market-based measures (MBMs) are discussed, the bunker levy scheme and the emission trading scheme, and we show that both can be incorporated in a similar way into a typical tramp ship routing and scheduling model. We also demonstrate with a computational study the environmental benefits of these CO2 reduction schemes.
- Barrass, B. (2004). Ship design and performance for masters and mates. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Battarra, M., Cordeau, J.-F., & Iori, M. (2014). Pickup-and-delivery problems for goods transportation. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), Vehicle routing: Problems, methods, and applications (MOS-SIAM series on optimization, 2nd ed., Chap. 6, pp. 161–191). Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Buhaug, Ø., Corbett, J. J., Endresen, Ø., Eyring, V., Faber, J., Hanayama, S., Lee, D., Lee, D., Lindstad, H., Markowska, A., Mjelde, A., Nelissen, D., Nilsen, J., Pålsson, C., Winebrake, J., Wu, W., & Yoshida, K. (2009). Second IMO GHG study 2009. Technical report, International Maritime Organization (IMO), London.Google Scholar
- Christiansen, M., & Fagerholt, K. (2014). Ship routing and scheduling in industrial and tramp shipping. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), Vehicle routing: Problems, methods, and applications (MOS-SIAM Series on Optimization, 2nd ed., chap. 13, pp. 381–408). Philadelphia: Philadelphia Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Doerner, K. F., & Salazar-González, J.-J. (2014). Pickup-and-delivery problems for people transportation. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), Vehicle routing: Problems, methods, and applications (MOS-SIAM series on optimization, 2nd ed., chap. 7, pp. 193–212). Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2015). EU ETS handbook. Technical report, European Union.Google Scholar
- GSF (2012). Maritime emissions briefing note. Technical report, Global Shippers’ Forum.Google Scholar
- Hemmati, A., Hvattum, L. M., Fagerholt, K., & Norstad, I. (2014). Benchmark suite for industrial and tramp ship routing and scheduling problems. INFOR: Information Systems and Operational Research, 52(1), 28–38.Google Scholar
- Kapetanis, G. N., Gkonis, K. G., & Psaraftis, H. N. (2014). Estimating the operational effect of a Bunker Levy: The case of Handymax bulk carriers. In Transport Research Arena 2014 Conference, Paris.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, S. A. (1972). International sea transport: The years ahead. Lexington: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Maersk (2011). Slow steaming – The full story. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/7803715/slow-steaming-the-full-story-maersk. Accessed Jan 1, 2018.
- Malliappi, F., Bennell, J. A., & Potts, C. N. (2011). A variable neighborhood search heuristic for tramp ship scheduling. In Computational Logistics. ICCL 2011 (Lecture notes in computer science, vol. 6971, pp. 273–285). Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Smith, T. W. P., Jalkanen, J. P., Anderson, B. A., Corbett, J. J., Faber, J., Hanayama, S., O’Keeffe, E., Parker, S., Johansson, L., Aldous, L., Raucci, C., Traut, M., Ettinger, S., Nelissen, D., Lee, D. S., Ng, S., Agrawal, A., Winebrake, J. J., Hoen, M., Chesworth, S., & Pandey, A. (2015). Third IMO GHG study 2014. Technical report, International Maritime Organization (IMO), London.Google Scholar
- The Maritime Executive (2017). E.U. emissions trading system excludes shipping, for now. https://maritime-executive.com/article/eu-emissions-trading-system-excludes-shipping-for-now. Accessed Jan 1, 2018.
- UNCTAD (2017). Review of maritime transport 2017. Technical report, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Geneva.Google Scholar