Corporate Strategies: Employer and Insurer’s Perspective
- 739 Downloads
Employers are increasingly focused on addressing the behavioral health issues of their employees and families. The high prevalence of behavioral health disorders in employees and their dependents has increased total health and disability costs as well as impacted productivity. These circumstances have stimulated the behavioral health focus and prompted new innovative strategies to address it. Ultimately, employers need a healthy and productive workforce in today’s increasingly competitive global economy.
Workplace strategies have included improving access to care and the management of mental health and substance disorder benefits, strengthening individual resilience, providing education and decreasing stigma within the corporate culture, increasing mental health literacy of both management and line staff, and reducing work-related stress. Technology-enabled solutions are being adopted to provide different treatment modalities and to scale workplace interventions. These interventions are becoming integrated into an overall employee well-being solution with the goal of creating a workplace culture of health and productivity, positively impacting not only corporations and its employees and dependents but also health-care delivery systems.
KeywordsWorkplace Workplace wellness program Workplace well-being programs Well-being Employee assistance program Workplace behavioral health program
- 2.National Alliance for Caregiving. On Pins & Needles: caregivers of adults with mental illness. Bethesda, MD: National Alliance for Caregiving; 2016.Google Scholar
- 5.American Psychological Association. Stress in America, the state of our nation. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 2017.Google Scholar
- 6.The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Trends in employer-sponsored insurance offer and coverage rates, 1999–2014. Issues Brief. 2016.Google Scholar
- 10.Roehrig C. Datawatch: Mental disorder top the list of the most costly conditions in the United States: $201 Billion. Heath Aff. 2016;35:1–6.Google Scholar
- 11.Finch R, Phillips K. An employer’s guide to behavioral health services. Washington, DC: National Business Group on Health/Center for Prevention and Health Services; 2005. Available from: www.businessgrouphealth.org/publications/index.cfm Google Scholar
- 13.Pratt L, Brody D, Gu Q. Antidepressant use among persons aged 12 and over: United States, 2011–2014. National Center for Health Statistics Data Brief No. 283; 2017. p. 1–7.Google Scholar
- 15.Health Resources & Services Administration Data Warehouse. Available from: https://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/topics/shortageAreas.aspx.
- 17.NCQA HEDIS 2018. Available from: http://www.ncqa.org/hedis-quality-measurement/hedis-measures/hedis-2018.
- 18.National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions eValue8. Available from: https://www.nationalalliancehealth.org/www/initiatives/initiatives-market-assessments/evalue8.
- 19.Levy J, Petit J, Pickering L, Sakraida K, Thompson M. Integrating depression screening and management with primary care in New York City. Northeast Business Group on Health. Available from: https://nebgh.org/wpcontent/uploads/2016/04/NEBGH_OneVoiceBriefFINAL-062014.pdf.
- 21.American Psychiatric Association Foundation Center for Workplace Mental Health. ICU. Available from: http://workplacementalhealth.org/Employer-Resources/ICU.
- 22.EY. Creating an inclusive environment. Available from: http://www.ey.com/us/en/about-us/our-people-and-culture/diversity-and-inclusiveness/unleashing-our-full-abilities%2D%2D4%2D%2Dresources.
- 23.The Campaign to Changedirection. Available from: https://www.changedirection.org.
- 24.Brennan W, Dolan-Del Vecchio K, Emmet W, Goldfarb S, Lattarula C, Mantych C, Miller C, Petit J, Pickering L, Ricci B, Sakraida K, Thompson M, Train D. Working well: leading a mentally healthy business. 2015. Available from: http://workplacementalhealth.org/getattachment/Making-The-Business-Case/Link-2-Title/working-well-toolkit.pdf?lang=en-US.
- 25.NAMI NYC #IWillListen. Available from: http://naminyc.iwilllisten.org.
- 26.American Psychiatric Association Foundation Center for Workplace Mental Health. Right Direction. Available from: http://www.workplacementalhealth.org/Employer-Resources/Right-Direction.
- 27.Mental Health First Aid. Available from: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org.