Health and Education Policy: Labour Markets, Qualifications, and the Struggle over Standards
European Union (EU) health policy has rarely been made as health policy—internal market or fiscal governance policies have been far more than actions taken under the deliberately weak and relatively new treaty bases for health action. Actions taken in the name of the internal market, in particular, to do with cross-border professional mobility and research, reshape health policy and systems, and thereby health education. The result is an increasingly important continent-wide series of labour markets and piecemeal training reforms for health workers whose underpinning in harmonised education, and whose quality control, is far from clear. EU health research funding, meanwhile, has a bias towards the latter objective of industrial policy, even if that might be counterproductive from a health or public expenditure perspective.
- Buchan, J., Wismar, M., Glinos, I. A., & Bremner, J. (Eds.). (2014). Health Professional Mobility in a Changing Europe: New Dynamics, Mobile Individuals and Diverse Responses, Observatory Studies Series 32. Copenhagen: WHO.Google Scholar
- Dussault, G., & Buchan, J. (2014). The Economic Crisis in the EU: Impact on Health Workforce Mobility. In J. Buchan, M. Wismar, I. A. Glinos, & J. Bremner (Eds.), Health Professional Mobility in a Changing Europe: New Dynamics, Mobile Individuals and Diverse Responses, Observatory Studies Series 32 (pp. 35–64). Copenhagen: WHO.Google Scholar
- EuroHealth. (2011). Perspectives on the Professional Qualifications Directive. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/154516/Eurohealth_Vol-17_No-4_web.pdf?ua=1
- European Commission. (2005). DIRECTIVE 2005/36/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 7 September 2005 on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications. Available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32005L0036&from=EN
- European Commission. (2013). DIRECTIVE 2013/55/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 November 2013 Amending Directive 2005/36/EC on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications and Regulation (EU) No 1024/2012 on Administrative Cooperation Through the Internal Market Information System (‘the IMI Regulation’). Available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32013L0055&from=EN
- European Commission. (2016). Professional Service Card. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/services/free-movement-professionals/european-professional-card_de
- European Court of Auditors. (2009). The European Union’s Public Health Programme (2003–07): An Effective Way to Improve Health? Luxembourg: European Court of Auditors.Google Scholar
- Glinos, I. A., Wismar, M., Buchan, J., & Rakovak, I. (2015). How Can Countries Address the Efficiency and Equity Implications of Health Professional Mobility in Europe? In Adapting Policies in the Context of the WHO Code and EU Freedom of Movement, Policy Brief. Copenhagen: WHO.Google Scholar
- Global Code of Practice on International Recruitment of Health Personnel. no year. http://www.who.int/hrh/migration/code/WHO_global_code_of_practice_EN.pdf. Accessed 3 Aug 2017.
- Greer, S. L. (2012b). Polity-Making Without Policy-Making: European Union Health Care Services Policy. In J. J. Richardson (Ed.), Policy Dynamics in the European Union. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Greer, S. L., & Jarman, H. (2016). Reinforcing Europe’s Failed Fiscal Regulatory State. In B. Dallago, G. Guri, & J. McGowan (Eds.), A Global Perspective on the European Economic Crisis (pp. 122–143). Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Greer, S. L., & Kurzer, P. (Eds.). (2013). European Union Public Health Policies: Regional and Global Perspectives. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Greer, S. L., Fahy, N., Elliott, H., Wismar, M., Jarman, H., & Palm, W. (2014). Everything You Always Wanted to Know About European Union Health Policy but Were Afraid to Ask. Brussels: European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.Google Scholar
- Hervey, T. K., Young, C. A., & Bishop, L. E. (Eds.). (2017). Research Handbook on EU Health Law and Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Hurwitz, L. (1990). The Free Circulation of Physicians Within the European Community. Aldershot: Avebury.Google Scholar
- Koumenta, M., & Pagliero, M. (2017). Measuring Prevalence and Labour Market Impacts of Professional Regulation in the EU. Tender 483/PP/GRP/IMA/15/15121, Funded by the European Commission.Google Scholar
- Kuhlmann, E., Maier, C. B., Dussault, G., Larsen, C., Pavolini, E., & Ungureanu, M. (2017). EU Law, Policy and Health Professional Mobility. In T. K. Hervey, C. A. Young, & L. E. Bishop (Eds.), Research Handbook on EU Health Law and Policy (pp. 111–133). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maier, C. B., Glinos, I. A., Wismar, M., Bremner, J., Dussault, G., & Figueras, J. (2011). Cross-Country Analysis of Health Professional Mobility in Europe: The Results. In M. Wismar, C. B. Maier, I. A. Glinos, G. Dussault, & J. Figueras (Eds.), Health Professional Mobility and Health Systems: Evidence from 17 European Countries (pp. 23–66). Observatory Studies Series 23. Copenhagen: WHO.Google Scholar
- McKee, M., & Stuckler, D. (2017) ‘Enemies of the People?’ Public Health in the Era of Populist Politics. Comment on ‘The Rise of Post-Truth Populism in Pluralist Liberal Democracies: Challenges for Health Policy’. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 6(11), 669–672.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Merçay, C., Dumont, J.-C., & Lafortune, G. (2016). Trends and Policies Affecting the International Migration of Doctors and Nurses to OECD Countries. In OECD (Ed.), Health Workforce Policies in OECD Countries: Right Jobs, Right Skills, Right Places (pp. 103–124). OECD Health Policy Studies. Paris: OECD Publishing. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264239517-en
- Mossialos, E., Govin, P., Baeten, R., & Hervey, T. K. (Eds.). (2010). Health Systems Governance in Europe: The Role of EU Law and Policy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Nolte, E., Knai, C., & Saltman, R. B. (Eds.). (2014). Assessing Chronic Disease Management in European Health Systems. Concepts and Approaches. World Health Organization (Acting as the Host Organization for, and Secretariat of, the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies).Google Scholar
- OECD (Ed.). (2016). Health Workforce Policies in OECD Countries: Right Jobs, Right Skills, Right Places (pp. 103–124). OECD Health Policy Studies. Paris: OECD Publishing. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264239517-en
- OECD – Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2017). OECD Health Statistics Online Database, 2015, 2016, 2017.Google Scholar
- WHO. (2010). WHO Global Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel. Geneva: WHO (63rd World Health Assembly, WHA63.16). Available at: https://www.who.int/hrh/migration/Pres4-HWF-TheCodePractice-2015-2016-1stroundto2nd.pdf
- WHO – World Health Organization. (2016a). WHO Global Strategy on Human Resources for Health: Workforce 2030; 2016a. http://who.int/hrh/resources/globstrathrh-2030/en/. Accessed 3 Aug 2017.
- WHO – World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. (2016b). European Framework for Action on Integrated Health Services Delivery: An Overview; 2016b. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/317377/FFA-IHS-service-delivery-overview.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 3 Aug 2017.
- Wismar, M., Maier, C. B., Glinos, I. A., Dussault, G., & Figueras, J. (Eds.). (2011). Health Professional Mobility and Health Systems: Evidence from 17 European Countries. Copenhagen: WHO.Google Scholar
- Wismar, M., Glinos, I. A., & Sagan, A. (Eds.). (2018: Forthcoming). Patients, Peers, Professionals: Skill-Mix Innovations and Developments in Primary and Chronic Care Settings. Brussels: European Observatory on Health Systems and Policy.Google Scholar
- Wissenschaftsrat. (2012). Empfehlungen zu hochschulischen Qualifikationen für das Gesundheitswesen. Berlin: Wissenschaftsrat. Available at: https://www.wissenschaftsrat.de/download/archiv/2411-12.pdf
- Zeitlin, J., & Vanhercke, B. (2014). Socializing the European Semester? Economic Governance and Social Policy Coordination in Europe. Providence: Brown University, Watson Center for International Studies.Google Scholar