Cardiorenal Syndrome in Heart Failure Patients: ICU Management
Cardiorenal syndrome is a condition manifest by the complex interplay and bidirectional injury that occurs to the cardiovascular and renal systems, respectively. Etiologies of the cardiorenal syndrome may be wide ranging but most commonly implicate impairment in the cardiovascular system leading to a vicious cycle of worsening cardiac and renal function. Treatment and management principles of this condition are complicated, sometimes misunderstood, and fraught with empiricism and the need to extrapolate data from similar but sufficiently diverse conditions and studies to this syndrome. This chapter seeks to elucidate the definitions, mechanisms, and treatment approaches to the heart failure patient with the cardiorenal syndrome in the intensive care unit.
KeywordsCardiorenal syndrome Management Intensive care Acute decompensated heart failure Renal failure Acute kidney injury Volume overload Ultrafiltration Diuretics Inotropes
- 1.Cardio-renal connections in heart failure and cardiovascular disease. 2004. Accessed 27 Jul 2017, at https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/research/reports/2004-cardiorenal-hf-hd.
- 13.Salvador DR, Rey NR, Ramos GC, Punzalan FE. Continuous infusion versus bolus injection of loop diuretics in congestive heart failure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(3):CD003178.Google Scholar
- 16.Shah RV, McNulty S, O'Connor CM, Felker GM, Braunwald E, Givertz MM. Effect of admission oral diuretic dose on response to continuous versus bolus intravenous diuretics in acute heart failure: an analysis from diuretic optimization strategies in acute heart failure. Am Heart J. 2012;164:862–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Adams KF, De Marco T, Berkowitz RL. Inotrope use and negative outcomes in treatment of acute heart failure in patients with preserved systolic function: data from the ADHERE database. Circulation. 2003;108(Suppl IV):695.Google Scholar
- 35.Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, et al. 2009 focused update incorporated into the ACC/AHA 2005 guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heart failure in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines: developed in collaboration with the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. Circulation. 2009;119:e391–479.PubMedGoogle Scholar