The Urbanization Barrier
This chapter looks the way that urban migration is exacerbating present and future water problems. Many areas of the world are unable to keep pace with the growing need to supply their populations with the necessary wastewater collection and treatment facilities. One result of this is heightened pollution from discharging untreated sewage into existing water courses.
KeywordsUrbanization Water scarcity Sanitation infrastructure Waterborne disease Mega cities
- Kimmilman, Michael. 2017. Can Jakarts save itself from sinking in 10 years. The Seattle Times, December 27, pp. A1, 9.Google Scholar
- Llanilla, Marc. 2013. China’s top 6 environmental problems. Live Science, March 15. Accessed January 21, 2018 from www.livescience.com/27862-china-environmental-problems.htm.
- McDonald, Robert J., Katherine Weber, Julie Padowski, Martina Flöke, Christof Schneider, Pamela A. Green, Thomas Gleeson, Stephanie Eckman, Bernard Lehner, Deborah Balk, Timothy Boucher, Günther Grill, and Mark Montgomery. 2014. Water on an urban planet: Urbanization and the reach of urban water infrastructure. Global Climate Change 27: 96–105.Google Scholar
- Mustafa, Daanish, Majed Akhter, and Natilie Nasrallah. 2013. Understanding Pakistan’s water-security nexus. United States Institute of Peace. Accessed January 18, 2018 from www.usip.org/sites/default/files/PW88_Understanding-Pakistan%27s-Water-Security-Nexus.pdf.
- Rosenberg, Matt. 2017. The Largest Cities in the World. Accessed October 29, 2017 from www.thoughtco.com/a-list-of-the-largest-cities-in-the-world-1435767.
- Senn, Dominique, and Dorthee Spuhler. 2018. Water, Sanitation and Urbanization. Accessed December 6, 2018 from https://sswm.info/node/7722.
- Shen, Yanjun, Changyuan Tang, Jieying Xiao, Taikan Oki, and Shinjiro Kanae. 2005. Effects of urbanization on water resource development and its problems in Shijiazhuang, China. In Proceedings of the S2 symposium of the Seventh IAHS Scientific Assembly at Foz do Iguaçu, Brazin, April. Accessed December 27, 2017 from http://hydro.sjziam.ac.cn/resources/Effects%20of%20urbanization%20on%20water%20resources%20development%20and%20its%20problems%20in%20Shijiazhuang,%20China.pdf.
- Tortajada, Cecilia. 2008. Challenges and realities of water management of megacities: The case of Mexico City metropolitan area. Journal of International Affairs 61 (2): 147–166.Google Scholar
- UN (United Nations). 2017. World population prospects. Accessed October 20, 2017 from https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Publications/Files/WPP2017_KeyFindings.pdf.
- UN Water. 2017. Water and urbanization. Accessed January 21, 2018 from www.unwater.org/water-facts/urbanization/.
- WHO (World Health Organization). 2016. Urban population growth. World Health Organization. Accessed October 20, 2017 from www.who.int/gho/urban_health/situation_trends/urban_population_growth/en.html.
- WSP (Water and Sanitation Program). 2018. Urban water and sanitation: The challenges. Water and Sanitation Program, World Bank. Accessed January 8, 2017 from www.wsp.org/topics/urban%20water%20supply%20and%20sanitation.